Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Snow Need To Panic

Started off a cloudy, damp morning with my first run to the Haddon Township Library in almost three weeks. I couldn't put it off any longer. I had a big stack of books due, some of which were overdue.

Getting there was a chore. Cuthbert Road, which isn't the easiest street to navigate on normal days, was a muddy mess, and busy to boot. I couldn't take the longer route this time, though. I had to work later.

I returned everything but one book I left at Dad's (I'll return that next week). There were lots of DVDs to return, adults' and kids', so I spent an hour doing those. I tried talking to one of the librarians about jobs, but she didn't really lift my spirits. She said her children are my age and out of work...in California. From what I've gathered, half of California is out of work. They've been hit a lot harder by the economic problems than we have.

I spent another hour looking for books. I took out one on networking, two American Girls books (I've never read Josefina's Changes book and I haven't read Molly's in a long time), one on nutrition for women, and three novels. They had the new Susan Kandel Cece Carusco mystery, Dial H For Hitchcock, that I've been waiting for. I also grabbed the next in the series for the Holmes on the Range and Avery Andrews mysteries.

Went straight home after I checked out my stack of books. Got in around quarter of 1...and it's a good thing I did. There was a message from a manager on my answering machine. Could I come in at 1 instead of 3? Obviously not. I rushed lunch and changing and made it in by 2.

No wonder they needed me. We were mobbed again. This is getting a little silly. It was one thing when we were really supposed to get hit with over a foot of snow, but the National Weather Service is saying 6 inches for here, 12 inland. Not to mention, any snow we do get will probably just melt in a day or two. The ground is as mushy as an old tomato. It's just too warm for the snow to stick around like it has...and unlike the last few storms, it's not supposed to get much colder than this. One of my customers mentioned that the local newscasts were really hyping the storm, which would explain a lot.

They originally wanted me to stay later, but I was iffy because of riding home in the dark. Thank goodness they did get a relief in - he was one of the boys who is always late coming from work, but at least he appeared at all. The snow is now completely gone from the sidewalks on the Black Horse Pike, making my ride a lot easier.

No comments: