Monday, February 15, 2010

Ridin' High

First of all, Happy President's Day to all those who were lucky enough to get today off! We salute two of our greatest presidents who have birthdays this month, George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.

Since the streets are largely clear in Oaklyn, I rode my bike to work for the first time in over a week today, after spending the morning taking down the Valentine's decorations. Other than the wind and some sheer awkwardness around the busy Nicholson Road-Black Horse Pike intersection, I had no trouble. (I normally ride on the sidewalk at the intersection, but the sidewalk is covered with two feet of snow right now. Unlike the sidewalks in Oaklyn, no one ever bothers clearing the sidewalks on the highways.)

Work was on-and-off steady, a bit busier than yesterday due to the holiday. We also had more employees calling out and more difficulty finding help. I was originally asked to stay later, but it only ended up being about fifteen-twenty minutes late when it took forever for my relief to appear.

It was bright and sunny this morning, but by the time I was riding home at quarter after 3, the silvery snow sky had returned. Thankfully, I was indoors doing pilates when it actually started snowing. This time, however, not only did it not really stick, but it didn't come down that hard. It stopped around 6, then started up again before I went in the shower. It's gone again now, and there's barely more than a dusting on the steps and the dry parts of my porch.

No comments: