Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Do I Have to Do This All Over Again?

Once again, we were mobbed the day before a major snowstorm. Thank goodness it wasn't quite as bad as Friday, but it was plenty busy enough. Unlike Friday, we didn't really have enough help. No one around here expected two major snowstorms in less than five days! We rarely get two snowstorms of any kind in one winter!

Also unlike Friday, things generally went fine, other than the lack of help. The roads are fairly clear, so there were no call-outs. Dad drove me to work again; he said he had to go to the store this morning anyway. My relief was on time, and even as I left, the crowds were starting to thin out. I was able to quickly buy the last things I needed before the next storm hit - birthday cards for my sister Jessa and my stepfather Bill, batteries, and hand soap for the bathroom.

After Dad took me home, I went inside, changed, grabbed my laundry, and went right back out again to Dad and Uncle Ken's house. Everyone was at home, awaiting the storm. Normally, I do the laundry in the morning, but I really wanted to avoid being out in the weather this time.

It still wasn't snowing by about quarter of five, so I decided to go for a walk and see if the Oaklyn Library was open in the evening tonight. It wasn't. I ended up going for a stroll on the White Horse Pike instead. I stopped at WaWa for a Hot Chocolate that was very rich and chocolate-y, then went in the opposite direction. It was rush hour as I made my way down the sidewalks. Unlike yesterday, most of the sidewalks now seemed to have been shoveled, and the relatively warm day had melted much of the ice. It was much easier to head down to CVS and just hang out than it had been to run my errands the morning before.

I didn't really need anything at CVS, so I headed home after that. By that point, it was dark...and it STILL hadn't started snowing. I had shrimp salad on one of those new "deli flats" rolls and pickles for dinner with Dad and Jodie. Dolores and Uncle Ken had leftover apples, ham, and cabbage. Dad drove me home after dinner.

I called my stepfather when I got in to wish him a happy birthday. Bill seemed to be in a very good mood; I caught him about to settle down for a night of TV. He said he had a nice, quiet day with his son, wife, daughter, and grandsons. They bought him many things he needed - boots for work (he's a commercial fisherman), a new motorcycle cover, a shaving kit.

It still hadn't snowed when I came home. The snow didn't start until around 7:30 - quarter of 8. I had just finished putting away the laundry and was online chatting with Lauren. I went into the kitchen to look out the front door...and discovered the snow coming down hard. There was already a dusting on the shoveled parts of the porch and the steps at that point. Now, they're covered to the point where you can't see the porch again.

No comments: