Saturday, August 28, 2010

Harvest Time

It was another gorgeous, mid-80-degree day when I headed out for this week's Saturday errand run. Started with stops at two yard sales in Oaklyn. One was on Newton Avenue. The other was on West Holly. Both were just a few blocks from the Oaklyn Library. I didn't find anything at the small one on Newton, but the one on West Holly was huge and yielded two Barbie gowns for my Sailor Moon dolls to wear at Christmas.

Next stop was the bank. It was dead when I got in, and I was in and out. I did see a pretty good line at the drive-up window. I guess people were on their way to work or their own Saturday errands.

I stopped at one more yard sale on Cold Spring Avenue and had no luck before riding over to the Farm Market. The Farm Market, as usual, was as busy as ever. Cucumbers, zucchini, and yellow squash are gone, but I was able to pick up peaches, red plums, mini Gala apples, corn, red, green, and Cuban peppers, Colby cheese from the dairy and meat booth, and 9-Grain Bread from one of the bakery booths.

I rode down to Newton River Park in search of more yard sales. I ended up at CVS instead. I needed shampoo and a stabilizer for my still-sore ankle. CVS wasn't busy, either. I was in and out.

Rode back to my neighborhood and was heading home when I saw a sign for a yard sale on Eden Drive near Kendall Boulevard and decided to check it out. I'm glad I did. They had some really interesting things, including piles of records. Most of the records were singles or promotional discs. I was able find LPs for Jim Croce and Tony Orlando and Dawn, along with the soundtrack for the infamous 1969 film version of Paint Your Wagon featuring Clint Eastwood. (Yes, in a musical western.)

Finally went back to the apartment after that and found another surprise. There was a small package in the mail box. I won Kit's Beach Pajamas for my Molly doll on eBay. They're a blue-and-white sailor-style bell bottom pantsuit and red slippers. They're supposed to be for tomboyish 30s girl Kit, but I think they suit patriotic World War II cutie Molly even better. They're so soft and cute, I think they're the best pajamas American Girl makes, bar none. Alas, they're likely to be retired by the end of the year, so if you want them now, grab them.

(I will add that while I had no problems getting my Pre-Mattel Molly's plump rear in the 1-piece pantsuit, her feet were a little big for the shoes. It took some jamming to get them on.)

Spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon dressing Molly in her new jammies and doing things online. I had a big chicken breast and tomatoes and squash lunch while watching Hello Kitty Furry Tale Theater episodes.

Work was on-and-off steady. It wasn't quite as busy as yesterday or last week. I got quite a bit of candy put away between customers. On the other hand, it's almost the beginning of the month, and there were quite a few annoying old ladies who want everything bagged just so...or else. I really wish they wouldn't fuss so much. We know what we're doing.

No comments: