Friday, August 27, 2010

Arts and Recreation for Adults

It was such a gorgeous day today. The sky was clear and cloudless. The air was cool and dry. It barely got into the 80s. There couldn't be a nicer day in late August.

I kicked it off with a walk and a quick stop at the Oaklyn Library for this week's volunteer session there. An attempt at organizing the DVDs and videos didn't get far. They're a mess! They've been trying to pull DVDs that teens can take out, but it looks awful. I had more luck with the children's picture books.

Went for a walk down the White Horse Pike and around the neighborhood next. I was very disappointed with my stop at Oaklyn's City Hall. It wasn't nearly as fruitful as my stop at Collingswood's city hall was yesterday. They just had pamphlets for taxes and flyers for local kids' cheerleading and football teams. I don't care about what the kids do for exercise here. What I want to know is what the adults do for exercise.

Didn't have much luck on West Clinton Avenue, either. I was hoping to get some prices and a class list for the Pillar School of Dance next-door to Leo's Yum Yums, but they were closed and had no pamphlets or flyers outside advertising their classes and prices, like Yogawood does in Collingswood. They don't even have a web site that I can see, though they are on Facebook.

And while I was walking on West Beechwood, my left ankle turned. It hasn't done that in ages! I put it on ice for the rest of the morning. I can walk on it and have no problem riding the bike, but it is sore.

My (slightly) early work was steady-to-dead with no major problems other than standing on that sore ankle. It'll be even less fun next week. Though I only have 21 hours and have 3 days off, they're all 6-hour days except for Sunday, and every day except for Sunday is until 8 or 8:30. Saturday was originally 6-11, but there was no way I can do that on my bike. I'm so grateful one of the managers was able to switch it for a far more normal 2:30 to 8:30.

Ran to the mall behind the Acme after work. I loved seeing Dreamgirls again last night so much, I knew I couldn't put off buying the DVD anymore. I actually found the 2-Disc "Showstopper Edition" new for $4.79 with my membership card. That's the third time I've gotten a 2-Disc set for less than $6 this year. There are advantages to DVDs having increased competition.

I had two slices of chicken and broccoli pizza for dinner, then went grocery shopping. I didn't need much. In fact, three of the big things I needed - contact lens case, dust spray, and tissues - weren't even food. Also needed yogurt, eggs, canned tomatoes, and those $1 fish packs. Oh, and Guilden's Mustard was on sale for 88 cents, so I stocked up on that.

No comments: