Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Return to the House On the River

The skies were still clear and blue and it was still relatively cool when Mom and I headed out this morning. She had work at Michael's, and I was heading home. No one else was there when I left. Keefe was still at Anny's, and Dad had gone fishing. Mom and I said our good-byes at the Dunkin' Donuts on the corner of Route 47 and Route 9 in Rio Grande where the bus stop is. She went to work, and I went to wait for the 9:46.

When the 9:46 didn't arrive by almost 10 (even though the bus to Cape May was on time), I decided to assume it was late or I'd missed it. I went in Dunkin' Donuts and bought an iced tea with no sugar and a sesame seed bagel. I was outside for less than 5 minutes when I saw the bus pull up at the stop! I ran with my meal and just barely made it.

Thankfully, that was the worst that happened on the road. The 552 to Atlantic City did get crowded between the Wildwood Bus Terminal and Cape May Courthouse, but it's also one of the few buses that run at the Southern Jersey Shore, and the only bus that makes stops at Route 9 and on Crest Haven Road. Once we got past Courthouse, everyone cleared out, and the trip to Atlantic City was peaceful. There wasn't even any traffic this time.

I arrived in Atlantic City and realized I'd forgotten to pack a lunch. I stopped at the Subway in the Outlets and had a roast beef 6-inch hoagie. I originally wanted apple slices and a soda, too, but the guy didn't put them with the sandwich. I didn't understand that you had to get them from the main dining area...and then I couldn't find them because I couldn't understand a word the guy said under his thick, unidentifiable accent. I finally stormed out with just my sandwich. I ate the sandwich on a terrace next to the building, then walked to the Train Terminal at the Convention Center and bought a soda.

The rest of my trip passed without incident. The train from Atlantic City to Lindenwald departed and arrived right on time. The bus to Oaklyn arrived on-time, ran into no traffic whatsoever, and arrived on-time. Neither vehicle was close to full. I got off at the dentist office across from PNC Bank in Oaklyn and walked home.

After I got in and unpacked, I briefly debated a swim, but finally decided that I had way too much laundry to ignore. In addition to everything from vacation, I had towels and dust rags from last week to do, along with my work uniform and all the usual things. I was there for more than an hour and a half; good thing it wasn't busy at all. There were just two old people and an older Hispanic man.

I got in around 6:30. I sorted my laundry and put it all away, then called Mom. I wanted to wait until after she was done work at 6 to tell her I was home. Yes, she was home. She was glad to hear from me, happy that my trip went well, and very happy that I went to visit her. I called Rose, too, to say "hi." She was holding her son Khai when she called me back and couldn't talk for long, but just the fact that she actually called me back within 20 minutes of me making the call was a good thing.

And I have to admit, even with the fussing over my clothes, I'm happy I went down there, too. I rarely got Mom and Dad to myself as a kid, much less now. There's usually siblings or grandchildren around. I don't often get to connect with my parents the way my friends Lauren, Linda, and Kelly do. No wonder they all enjoy spending time with their parents. I had a great time.

And tomorrow, library volunteering and more vacation!

No comments: