Wednesday, August 18, 2010

When You Get What You Wished For

We've needed rain for at least two weeks now. The grass is starting to look really dry again. I've been hoping for some good, solid rain. I finally got my wish when I woke up to a shower this morning.

It ended around 8...and held off long enough for me to make it to the Oaklyn Library for this week's volunteering session there. And they needed a lot done! They'd just hosted a local summer camp for very young kids the night before. There were chairs all over the place and kids' books piled on the tables in the middle of the children's area. I had a lot of organizing to do.

When I finished, I headed out for a walk. It was around 11:30 by then. It was cloudy, cool, and really humid, but not raining. I went for a short walk over the train tracks and down to Kendall, then down Goff Avenue and back to Manor. It was just starting to spit a tiny bit when I made it back to my place. It started to rain harder shortly after I arrived, but the rain ended around 1:30, and to my knowledge, it hasn't rained since.

Spent the rest of the afternoon quietly at home. Since it was cool, I baked Applesauce Cake via a recipe my best friend Lauren Miller sent me and added apples and blackberries. I watched two more Bowery Boys movies. No Holds Barred was the funnier of the two, both of them revolving around sports. Sach Jones somehow develops a very, very hard head. His best buddy Slip Mahoney takes advantage of this unusual ability by entering him in professional wrestling circles...but the ability keeps moving to different parts of Sach's body!

Work was really busy tonight off and on. I couldn't figure out why until I talked to one man with a very large order. I forgot that most colleges are just about ready to begin fall sessions if they haven't already. There's a lot of colleges in the area, and kids who don't live at home are probably stocking up for the fall. Plus, we're in the midst of training new cashiers, so a lot of the lines were going really slow.

No comments: