Sunday, August 08, 2010

The End of My Vacation

Technically, my vacation ended yesterday. However, I had today off. I just decided that I'm having an extended vacation week. I spent today doing what I haven't done all week - nothing. Relaxing. Just doing things around the apartment.

I baked a Blueberry Brunch Cake before it got too hot to do so. I watched Bowery Boys and East Side Kids movies. I listened to the Brunch With the Beatles radio show on WOGL; "The Beatles In Concert" was the theme today. I ate out of the fridge for dinner.

Went for a swim at Uncle Ken's around 3:30. It was more than a little awkward. There were a lot of friends of Uncle Ken's and Dolores' whom I didn't know in the pool at that point. I hate trying to talk to new people outside of the family. I just ignored them.

Called Mom when I got home. She was doing the same thing I was, just hanging out. We talked about my week and everything that happened yesterday. She told me that she'd given her two week's notice at Michael's. Her boss apparently wanted her to stay, but she doesn't make much for the work she does, and unlike grocery stores, hobby stores don't have unions to back up their decisions. We'll see if she changes her mind or not. She doesn't like her job any more than I like mine, but it does give her some financial stability away from Dad.

I'd already jumped in the shower before I'd talked to Mom. Finished dinner, then listened to The Dress Circle. "Shows Currently Running In London" was the theme tonight. And people say that Broadway's had a dearth of creative ideas lately. Almost every show they ran tonight was either a sequel to a hit or based after a movie.

Sometimes, this worked. I agreed with the guys that the Sister Act songs were really cute, and that movie was already a semi-musical anyway. Dirty Dancing also made sense. While that's far from my favorite movie, it's also already a musical. And I've heard the music from Billy Elliot. It's amazing. That show deserved every award it got when it debuted a few years ago.

On the other hand, what the heck is Andrew Lloyd Webber thinking with Love Never Dies? The premise - Christine and the Phantom meet again 10 years later in Coney Island - is utterly preposterous. The music was awful. Just goes to show that Webber's way past his 80s-rock opera prime. I like Phantom as much as the next person and consider Sunset Boulevard to be underrated, but he hasn't done anything really worthwhile in ages.

No comments: