Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Holidays are Coming

And in view of that, I began today by continuing this month's cleaning. I did the vacuuming this morning right after I finished breakfast. Vacuuming the apartment never takes me very long. Even though this is a pretty good-sized apartment, it isn't huge. I finished just in time to grab lunch and head to work.

I still wish I'd had today off, but I can understand why they asked me to come in. It was very busy all day long, not surprising two days before the biggest food holiday of the year in the US. In fact, a manager asked me to stay an extra hour...but this time, I said "no." I was dead tired by that point, and I still had baking to do. They were lucky I came in today.

I went straight home after work. The weather got kind of strange. It was sunny when I was cleaning this morning, but the clouds were slowly rolling in even as I headed to work. By the time I was going home, it was almost dark and cloudy, with a little sunset showing.

I did finally get home and bake the Cranberry Bread for my family's Thanksgiving feast. Ran Winnie the Pooh: Seasons of Giving and two TV show episodes while I baked, and later while I had salmon sauteed with orange peppers, mushrooms, and onions for dinner.

Although Remember WENN technically didn't do a Thanksgiving episode, they did do a show that concerned food and Native American relations, "And How," that I usually watch in November. Perfect Strangers ran long enough to get an actual Thanksgiving episode in during their 7th (and last full) season, "Wild Turkey."

Seasons of Giving is a collection of two vaguely winter-related New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh episodes and the Thanksgiving Special. I have it mainly for the surprisingly sweet Thanksgiving story. The 100 Acres Woods crew gathers to have a fun Thanksgiving filled with haycorns, honey, and gallons of lemonade...until Rabbit fusses and claims that this isn't what Thanksgiving is all about. He insists that the others gather the ingredients for a "real" Thanksgiving. It's Pooh himself who finally reminds the frantic bunny what the holiday is really all about - sharing what you have with friends and family.

And I'm not at all happy with how the bread came out. It fell apart when I took it out of the pan. Oh well. My brother and father will eat anything. They probably won't even notice the pieces.

No comments: