Monday, March 14, 2011

Double or Laundry

Started out a cloudy, cool morning with this week's laundry run. It was busy, but I was able to get some machines. One guy who is a friend of my dad's said he recognized me from the Acme. I wish he hadn't. I really wish people would recognize me for something else besides working at a grocery store. It's embarrassing.

After my laundry finished, I headed home. I got a surprising amount of mail, considering I usually get either an occasional piece of junk or, more rarely, a present from someone or something I ordered. Today, I got a present. Lauren sent me a copy of the novelization of the Danny Kaye movie On the Double from Amazon. She'd really enjoyed it, and thought I would, too.

I also finally got the American Girl catalog without buying an outfit...and found out why it took two months to come. It had been damaged in the mail; the plastic introduction cover was ripped, though the bulk of the catalog was in better shape than the one that came with the Snowsuit and got water-logged. The Post Office was extremely apologetic about this, ironic considering it really wasn't a problem. I took off the rest of the plastic cover, and would have even if it had been intact.

In honor of On the Double, I watched two half-hour cartoons about doubles while having Brown Rice Porridge and a spinach and citrus salad for lunch. Disney's version of The Prince and the Pauper came out in 1990 as a double-bill with The Rescuers Down Under. Here, Mickey Mouse is the double, the Prince and pauper of the title who switch places for a day...and discover how the other half lives.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles didn't often have a chance to deal with royalty. An episode of the 1987 show made an exception when Shredder mistakes April for her look-a-like, the princess of a country with a newly-discovered metal that could bring the Technidrome to the surface. When the Princess runs away, Shredder kidnaps April instead. The Princess has other ideas...and so do the Turtles. It takes a little bit of royal aid to outsmart Shredder's latest plot!

Went to work shortly after the Turtles ended. Thanks to the end of a 4-day sale, we had long lines all day. There were call-outs that left us short on help, too. Not to mention, we'd finally run out of the six-packs of Canada Dry sodas that were on sale. Given that people were buying them by the three and four cases-full, I'm not surprised, but a lot of folks weren't happy. I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of rain-checks for that one later in the week.

No comments: