Sunday, March 20, 2011

Don't Fence Me In

It was well into the first day of spring when I finally finished 7,000 Clams and started breakfast this morning. The Banana Pancakes I made came out extremely well. In fact, I think they're the best pancakes I've done in a while. I really need to start adding more buttermilk to this recipe.

Listened to Brunch With the Beatles while eating breakfast. The theme today was "The Beatles In 1967." Fine by me - that meant the emphasis was on two of my favorite Beatles albums, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Magical Mystery Tour. Singles from this era include "Penny Lane," "Strawberry Fields Forever," "All You Need Is Love," and "Baby You're A Rich Man."

I tried calling Mom twice this morning. Today is her birthday, and I really wanted to wish her a happy day. I did finally get her around 11:30. We only talked for a few minutes. It sounded like she had Keefe and the little boys there. I mentioned to her that I want to look into starting a business and leaving the Acme after the trouble yesterday. I feel like I'm getting burnt out on the Acme. She said yes, do that...but don't leave until you find another job. And oh yeah, the economy is bad, so how will you find another job at all?

I'm sick and tired of using the economy as an excuse to stay in my comfort zone. I've had a hard time finding a job for eight years. I've struggled financially since I got out college. My family has struggled for most of my life financially. Being broke is a way of life with me. I'm used to living with little money.

I want to try to find a job. I believe that what I need is to think outside the box. It's just a matter of finding the right strategy...and the right small business. It's not going to be retail, though. I've had enough of selling things to obnoxious people.

I ran Iron Man 2 while cleaning out and organizing the area under the sink. I think I've seen evidence of a mouse down there. Besides, I haven't cleaned it in ages. It's most certainly due for a scrub.

Iron Man 2 puts more emphasis on the suit and technology developed in the first movie. The very thing that billionaire Tony Stark developed to save his life may be killing him. He's having problems with his girlfriend, even after he promotes her to the head of his company. His best friend absconds to the military with one of the suits. And, oh yes, an insane Russian whose father was sent to Siberia after working with Stark's father in the 70s wants revenge...badly.

It was...ok. Maybe you need to be more of a comic book fan to get this one. I still like Robert Downey Jr. as Stark, and Don Cheadle got a rare big action role as his best buddy/sidekick. Otherwise, if you liked the first one and are into the books, go ahead. If you're not an action/superhero fan, this probably isn't the best place to start.

Thank goodness that work was no problems at all after yesterday. The weather was colder, but otherwise remained nice and sunny. Once again, my relief was early, and I was thankfully in and out quickly.

Went straight home after work for dinner, the end of Iron Man 2, and The Dress Circle. Staying with action, tonight's theme was "Singing Cowboys and Themes From Westerns." TV western themes heard include Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Zorro, and "The Ballad of Jim West" from The Wild Wild West. Movie themes included High Noon, The Sons of Katie Elder, and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, and Tex Ritter each got to perform some of their biggest hits. Autry's included "You Are My Sunshine" and "Don't Fence Me In." Rogers' included "Tumbling Tumbleweeds."

No comments: