Saturday, March 19, 2011

Windy, Bright, and Beautiful

I'm glad I got up fairly early this morning. I got a lot done. My first errand of the day was the bank to deposit my paycheck. Once again, it was a beautiful, sunny, windy day. The wind kept it from being too warm, but it was still warm enough for me to be out in just my heavy Cape May hoody sweatshirt and be fine. The bank was dead when I was there, and I was in and out.

Next stop was WaWa. It was only about 10:30 when I got there. They were busy with people picking up coffee and late breakfasts. I grabbed milk and a small cup of chai tea.

Went for a short walk after leaving WaWa. The neighborhood is looking very much like spring. There's buds on the trees. Many yards and fields are bursting with the first crocus and daffodils. Bushes that were trimmed back in the fall are now sporting new, pale-green growth. I waved to a neighbor and Acme customer walking her two large, beautiful midnight-colored dogs, and headed home.

Since I got out so early, I had the time to get a lot of things done around the apartment, too. I took down the St. Patrick's decorations and put up some spring-themed cardboard hangings. I swept out the two shelves between my sink and stove that make up my pantry. I decided to try something different and made some delicious hummus for lunch.

I wish I'd stayed home. Work was not only a pain in the rear today, it was a bit scary. Though the worst that happened in my line was an obnoxious older woman who had to re-arrange every bag and hold up the line, there were problems in the self-checkout and the line in front of me later in the day.

I don't really know WHAT happened in self-checkout. My back was turned. I just heard two women having a very noisy and violent argument. From what I could hear, it sounded like one had probably skipped ahead in the line...and the other didn't like it. One of the women was eventually ejected from the store.

About an hour before I went home, a lady came in and told customer service that there were two children in a car with the windows down. Turns out the kids and the car belonged to a young couple in the register in front of me. The woman was so appalled with them leaving their kids in the car with the windows up, she called the police on them!

Today confirms it. I can't stay in the Acme anymore. This is utterly ridiculous. I know this doesn't happen all the time...but it shouldn't happen at all. I just want to work somewhere small and quiet, with quiet, sensible, intelligent people.

No comments: