Thursday, June 30, 2011

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

It was a gorgeous day for a ball game. Lauren and I had tickets for the last of a three-game series between the Philadelphia Phillies and Boston Red Sox. The Phils won the last two games going in.

We were both very excited, and not just about the game. The Phils play at Citizens Bank Park, one of the two big, new stadiums that replaced Veteran's Park a couple of years ago. (The other is its football-oriented neighbor across the street, Lincoln Financial Field.) It really is a gorgeous ball park. There's a huge screen that shows the game and stats and wonderful views from all over. Lauren and I had seats at 102, right on the aisles behind center field. We arrived early, around 11:30 - Lauren's a baseball fan and wanted to see some batting practice.

We were in our seats through the 7th inning stretch. It was a very exciting game. I'm not the baseball fan Lauren is, so I'm not going to be able to give you play-by-play details. I do know the Phils were doing pretty well through the first half of the game. No one scored until someone hit a ball right at pitcher Cole Hamels' pitching hand and took him out of the game. (Someone did it earlier, but Hamels caught it...unexpectedly, from the surprised look on his face.)

By the 7th inning, my arms and knees were starting to turn a very nice shade of Jersey tomato red, and Lauren only looked slightly lighter. We went upstairs to take a look at the gift store. Lauren bought an Irish-themed Phillies hat and a big stuffed Phillies Phanatics. I just bought a simpler red Phillies hat and a program.

I briefly rejoined Lauren in the seats, but I was just too darn hot. I spent the majority of the last two innings upstairs in the main concourse, just exploring. I did see Ryan Howard's big 9th inning home run between backs. (It was literally standing room only - according to the signs, there were over 45,000 screaming, cheering fans at the game today.) Despite that last-inning effort, the Phillies ultimately lost, 5-2.

We waited just inside, then just outside the gates for Dad and Jodie. We waited about a half-hour. First of all, they were coming in through rush-hour traffic. Second, President Obama was visiting Philadelphia today, and several major roads were shut down for his arrival. It wasn't too bad going back. In fact, the worst traffic on the trip home was around the stadium.

Rose, Khai, Uncle Ken, and Dolores were all home to greet us when we arrived. Rose and Khai took us back to my place. I needed to give her that jar of apple butter I bought for her last weekend anyway. Lauren and I got cleaned up, put our things away, and watched cartoons until it was time to meet Dad and Jodie down the street at Oaklyn Manor Bar.

We had a nice chat with Dad and Jodie on the patio at the Manor Bar. Lauren and I both enjoyed iced teas. She had a chicken and peppers wrap. I had a pizza cheese steak. Jodie had a pepper cheese steak. Dad ordered his favorite Ruben, which was so big, he barely ate half of it. We all split an order of cheese fries, a favorite of Jodie's. They asked Lauren about herself and what she does in Pittsfield (she's a head teller at a small area bank).

After dinner, we said "good bye" to Dad and Jodie and went across the street to Leo's Yum Yums for dessert. I thought Yum Yums and water ice would help make our sunburns feel better. I'm glad I suggested it. My small Rainbow Yum Yum was colorful and just sweet enough. Lauren enjoyed her blueberry water ice, blue lips and all.

I went straight in the shower when we got in. Between two days of sweating and my sunburn, I needed it! Joined Lauren online afterwards. Tomorrow, Lauren heads home, and I head to the Acme to pick up my paycheck and do my weekly grocery shopping.

No comments: