Saturday, June 04, 2011

Yard Sale Bonanza

Started out this morning with a nice discovery. WOGL had finally switched their Saturday American Top 40 re-runs from the 70s to the 80s. In fact, they couldn't have begin more 80s if they tried - early June 1984. Among the songs on the charts this week in 1984 - "Jump (For Your Love)," Madonna's second hit "Borderline," Laura Brannigan's "Self Control," and that week's number one song, "Let's Here It For the Boy," Denise Williams' smash from the Footloose soundtrack.

Today was Collingswood's Town-Wide Yard Sale. Having done well by Audubon and Haddon Township's similar events, I was looking forward to this one. I wasn't disappointed. I was red-hot with record finds:

The original 1946 Broadway cast for Annie Get Your Gun with Ethel Merman in the title role and the 1959 Bob Merrill show Take Me Along, with Jackie Gleason, Robert Morse, and Walter Pidgeon.

Donna Summer - Bad Girls (Rose and I loved that set when we were really little. Dad did, too. We used to dance around the house to it.)

Two Hy Lit collections of 50s and early 60s rock. (I believe Hy Lit was a very popular Philly DJ in the 50s and 60s.)

Fred Astaire - Nothing Thrilled Half as Much as Fred Astaire (which looks like a collection of his solo material from his 30s movies)

The Vogues - The Vogue's Greatest Hits (They also had a few songs on the Hy Lit albums)

Steve Martin - Let's Get Small

Soundtrack for Lady Sings the Blues with Diana Ross as jazz and blues singer Billie Holliday

The Sound of Christmas

The Mamas and the Papas - If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears and Deliver

A studio cast album of the operetta The Desert Song, featuring Gordon MacRae and Dorothy Kirsten

Studio opera cast album of The Merry Widow, with Beverly Sills in one of the most amazing costumes I've ever seen on the front cover, a confection of pale blue ruffles and sequins.

Starflight, a collection of late 70s hits

Culture Club - Colour By Numbers

A really neat Disney Sword and the Stone pop-up book and record.

Linda Rondstat - Don't Cry Now

Sister Sledge - We are Family

Two Golden Books - The Disney Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (which we had as kids) and Muppet Babies Be Nice!

My best finds were two videos. I rarely find videos that aren't available on DVD at yard sales. Today, though, I found the MacDonald/Eddy Rose Marie and a vehicle for Eddy and Rise Stevens, The Chocolate Soldier, for three dollars each. Rose Marie is one of two MacDonald/Eddy films I didn't have. I did tape The Chocolate Soldier off of TCM around 2000, but TCM wasn't working too great and my copy didn't come out very well. I didn't figure out until I got home that they were both still factory-sealed in the original plastic, too. Score!

Did well at the Farm Market, too. They were elbow-to-elbow when I arrived around 10. I picked up two jars of Strawberry-Raspberry Butter (the smaller one is for a present), zucchini, strawberries, snap peas, radishes, spinach, and the first New Jersey cucumbers of the season. Also grabbed kiwi, bananas, and grapefruit from the wholesaler.

On my way around Collingswood, I found a little fair at parking lot for the Good Shepard Catholic School a few blocks from the Farm Market. They had booths set up with games to win tickets, like a water-dunk game, a get-your-ball-past-the-goalie, and a bean bag toss. There was a booth with small prizes in the center of the lot. I didn't play any games, but I did try a Frozen 3 Musketeers Bar on a Stick. (They also had Frozen Milky Ways.) It wasn't bad. Very chewy, once it defrosted enough to eat. (One of the teachers actually brought the bags with the bars out while I waited.)

I spent the rest of the afternoon eating a fresh garden salad and leftover chicken for lunch and adding the new records to my inventory. It started out cloudy this morning, but by the time I was in Collingswood, the sun was out. It had vanished again by the time I headed to work.

Work was on-and-off busy again, even more-so than yesterday. We had a lot less help, too. I guess everyone wanted the weekend off. There were no major problems, and I was in and out.

No comments: