Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Welcome to Vacation

Thank goodness work wasn't nearly as bad today as it was yesterday. I think working much earlier (I went in at 9) was a big help. There were a few annoying customers, but nothing too horrible. We were on-and-off busy during the noon rush, which tends to hit us hard, due to the eight restaurants in the mall behind us. Otherwise, we were fairly dead. It was hot and humid all day. I doubt anyone's in a hurry to get anywhere.

Except for me. It was quiet enough when I got off that I was able to shut down on time today and head right out for the start of my vacation! I'm off from tomorrow until July 1st. Even if Lauren wasn't coming down tomorrow evening, I think I still need it badly. I feel like I've been going non-stop for the past month and a half.

I spent my first few hours of vacation doing the last of the dusting in the bedroom. It took longer than usual because I actually dusted under all of the stuffed animals, books, and action figures. I usually dust around them. Who's gonna see it but me? I dust under them four times a year, once a season. Normally, I would have done it already, but I put it off until closer to Lauren's visit.

After I finally finished, I made a quick dinner of blueberries, mashed turnips, scrambled eggs, and toast while watching Tiny Toons Adventures. Plucky, Hampton, Babs, and Buster take a wacky tour of the Old World in "Europe in 30 Minutes." The four eventually end up in London, where they foil a plot to kidnap Princess Diana and Prince Charles. (Did I mention this episode was made around 1991? There's even fairly accurate caricatures of the royal celebrities in question.)

I went for a stroll to Leo's Yum Yums on West Clinton Avenue to stretch my legs and go for a short walk. It was still humid out by 7:30, but a bit cooler. The recent thunderstorms have been a huge help to the neighborhood gardens. Rows of lillies in brilliant oranges, golds, and whites and soft, sunny daisies bloom in profusion in front of many homes. The wind dashed through large green leaves in the shady trees.

Bought the same thing at Leo's that I did on my last excursion there, a small vanilla frozen yogurt with rainbow sprinkles. This time, there was no line, and I was able to enjoy my treat in peace.

No comments: