Friday, July 22, 2011

Hot In Philadelphia

Yes, the temperature reached 100 here today. 103, to be exact. It was humid and hazy and way too steamy for words. Needless to say, the only time I was out in it before I went to work was to check the mail. Yay, the TV I ordered on Amazon.com finally arrived! I easily carried the 15-inch, flat-screen, two-year-old Sylvania set upstairs...much to my surprise. My old TV is a 19-inch tube model that nearly gave me a hernia just moving it across the living room. (And it actually belongs to my dad - I borrowed it from him when the TV I'd had since high school started dying around 2007.)

I got the apartment vacuumed before the TV arrived and dusted the heavy antique table I use as a home entertainment unit after it arrived. Spent an hour setting up the DVD recorder and VCR - they both work just fine. I love the TV. The picture looks nice, everything plugs into it (no more modulator), and I can now easily dust under it and dust it, instead of having to dust around it. It's what I've wanted for years. Actually, it's the size I wanted in high school, but my stepfather insisted on a larger, 22-inch console. (He claimed it was on sale. Mom blamed his "bigger is better" complex.)

Didn't get too much of a chance to watch it. I ran some cartoons during lunch, then went straight to work. Yes, I rode the bike. I wasn't going to drag anyone out in 100 degree heat. Besides, I worked until 10. Everyone I know is either in bed by that time, out with friends, or tending to children.

It was surprisingly steady when I came in and during rush hour. I figured everyone would avoid the heat as much as possible. It did die a bit later and was quiet when I finally left.

No comments: