Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Library's Back In Town

I've been keeping a close eye on the Camden County Library System's website for updated information about the status of the Haddon Township Library...and finally got some good news. They'll be opening to the public this Monday, the 25th, but they need help restocking and re-shelving items now. I needed to run errands in Westmont anyway, so I decided to swing by there and see if I could lend a hand.

I was up late with Lauren last night (who is on vacation this week) and didn't get going until around 11:30. It was hot as heck today, and humid, too. A nice breeze helped, but I was still sweating buckets as I passed through Newton River Park. Needless to say, the park was empty. I didn't even see any Canadian geese or ducks; they were probably all napping in the shade.

I was so glad to see cars and not dumpsters in the parking lot when I arrived. In fact, the back lot was more full than it usually is when the place is open. I couldn't figure out how I was going to get in until I saw two young ladies leave by the normally-locked door on the side of the building.

The door lead into the lounge area and offices. They surprisingly looked the same as always, other than the new carpeting and lack of stacks of donated books on the floor. The couch from the lounge was gone - probably a victim of the flood. I dumped my purse on a plastic and metal chair stacked along the wall and went to see how I could help.

The place was bustling with activity. The librarians were directing volunteers and cleaning up the circulation area. There were doughnut holes and bottles of water in the main lobby. I grabbed a much-needed bottle of water and, on the suggestion of the head librarian, headed for the children's area.

This was one of the areas most effected by the burst pipe. It had entirely new purple carpet and new paint on the walls. The construction workers had put the books back on the shelves...but they'd just thrown them on any which way, so they were all in the wrong order. I rearranged the C and D sections and shelved books that had been returned at other libraries while Haddon Township was closed.

I finally got hungry for a real lunch and headed out at about 2. Needed to run a few errands across the street, too. I had a tasty turkey and Swiss sandwich on a whole wheat wrap, with lettuce, tomato, and avocado spread. Picked up sponges at Dollar Tree and things to make a mousse pie at Super Fresh.

I thought of stopping for an ice cream or running other errands, but it was just too darn hot. Not to mention, by quarter after 3, the clouds that had been in the distance this morning were getting darker. I just rode back to my apartment.

Cleaned the bathroom after I got in. It wasn't too horrible, but it did need to be done. (The kitchen's probably in worse shape this month. I didn't get a chance to do it again before Lauren arrived.)

I did hear lots of rumbling thunder as I scrubbed, but to my knowledge, it has yet to actually rain. I wish it would. As long as I'm not on my way to anywhere, including work, Mother Nature can do whatever she darn well pleases.

Watched The Rocketeer as I made salmon poached in home-made chicken stock with mushrooms and potatoes and steamed green beans for dinner. One of Disney's entries into the stylish superhero race of the late 80s-early 90s was too low-key then to make much of an impression...but it's laid-back, natural style looks much better now than their other big superhero movie of the time, Dick Tracy. A young test pilot and his mentor/sidekick/partner discover an experimental jet pack stolen from Howard Hughes himself. The pilot's delighted to be able to fly without a plane...but his delight turns to shock when it turns out the FBI, a group of gangsters, a mysterious swashbuckling Hollywood star, and the Nazis are all after the awesome powers of the rocket pack.

As much as I enjoy Dick Tracy, there's something to be said for a quieter approach. Sure, there's still a lot of things blowing up and going bang, but the dusty-dingy Art Deco look is light years away from the over-the-top trappings of other superhero films. This goes for the characters, too. Bill Campbell is fine as the title character; Alan Arkin is a lot of fun as his inventor buddy. Timothy Dalton is a suitably charming villain, and Jennifer Connolly has more spirit than the usual damsel in distress.

No comments: