Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Summer Amusements

I set up the DVD recorder first thing in the morning. Or I tried to. My VCR and TV are older versions that use thick cables that screw in instead of RCA video cables. I couldn't figure out how to get it all hooked up to my modulator. I did get the DVD recorder to play the Green Hornet DVDs later, so at least that works. I didn't remember until much, much later that my old Nintendo uses an adapter from a late 80s-early 90s Sega Game System Grandma Ann gave us around 2001. I was using it for the Nintendo, but I unhooked the Nintendo and its accessories this morning. Good thing I forgot to untangle the adapter! I pushed the plug in the DVD recorder, and it fits. We'll see if I can actually get the whole thing to work tomorrow.

When I got frustrated with the set-up, I had muffins and yogurt with honey and blueberries for lunch, then went online. As I looked for ways to hook up the recorder, I called Rose to say "hi." I hadn't seen her since Lauren was here. Turns out there was a reason - she was trying to take care of an energetic one-year-old, take her cat Bob to the vet, work at a local restaurant, and study for the Bar. I caught her at a good time, though. The baby was napping, she was off of work and done with studying, and her boyfriend Craig took the cat to get his check-up. She mentioned they'd all be at Dad and Uncle Ken's later to use the pool. I told her I'd swing by, since I didn't have any plans for today and have been meaning to get to the pool. (With the path between Hillcrest and Manor fenced off, I no longer have a quick way of getting to Dad's...and I've just been plain busy lately.)

I called Jodie and Dad to confirm my visit. I then spent a little while editing Bowery Boys stories Lauren and I have written this spring, then watching more Green Hornet. I headed out around 4:30...and headed right back in. My Amazon.com order had arrived...and quickly, too! I made it the day before yesterday! I loved the two songs from the Unsung Irving Berlin CD set I heard on The Dress Circle so much, I decided I wanted the whole set. It's long out-of-print, but I found it used for a good price on Amazon.

When I finally headed out, I made a side trip to Leo's Yum-Yums for a small cup of vanilla frozen yogurt and chocolate sprinkles. I needed it. It was hot, hazy, and humid. Though it remained breezy and it wasn't as stifling as I thought it would be, it wasn't exactly comfortable, either.

Rose and Craig were already at the pool when I got in. They were just about to change Khai into his bathing suit. I did the same, then hopped in as Rose, Jodie, and Khai did. (Craig said he wasn't feeling well.) Dad was there, as were several friends of Uncle Ken's and Dolores' grandson Blake. Blake was adorable with Khai. He tossed him an orange ball and a blue ball and made little splashes at him. I think Khai, an only child, sorta looks up to him, as much as a one-year-old can.

I'm glad I went over there. The pool was bathwater-warm, at least in the mid-80s. There was none of the usual shock going in. I swam with Blake, Khai, Rose, and Dad until about 6:30. Blake's parents called him in for dinner, and Rose and I decided we'd had enough of wrinkly fingers and Khai was getting tired.

Besides, Jodie was just about ready with our dinner. She made barbecue ribs so succulent, they fell right off the bone. There was fresh cucumber salad, corn on the cob, and roasted potatoes with rosemary right off Uncle Ken's rosemary bush next to the back steps. After dinner, Khai briefly went back in the pool with his cousin Ella. I'd changed back into dry clothes by that point and just watched the two and Jodie, who held Khai as Ella showed off her cannonball skills.

We took Khai inside just in time for the second half of Jeopardy!. I watched Wheel of Fortune as everyone chatted with Uncle Ken and Dolores in the den. Headed home after the shows ended; Rose and Khai were going to leave shortly after.

I enjoyed it so much, I think I'll do it again after Oaklyn Library volunteering and getting the DVD recorder going tomorrow.

No comments: