Monday, July 25, 2011

Crazy Over Rain Storms

Hoping for rain, I slept in this morning. It was still sunny and humid when I got up around quarter of 10, but the heat had dissipated. By the time I headed out to the laundromat to do this week's load, the sun had vanished behind gray clouds, and it was much cooler than over the weekend. A nice breeze helped, too.

The iffy weather must have kept people at home. The laundromat was empty of everyone but the older woman who runs the place when I came in. It did get a bit busier later, but by that point my laundry was almost out of the drier.

I put my small pile of laundry away when I got home. Ran the Bowery Boys movie Crazy Over Horses while having leftovers for lunch. A man who owes soda shop owner Louie Dumbrowski money sells him and the Boys a race horse instead. It turns out gamblers hope to use the horse in a racing scam. Slip figures out their game after they switch their gentle horse with a much wilder one. Slip becomes determined to race the right horse himself...but will his buddy Sach be more of a help or a hindrance?

Most of the racing gags are the same thing you've probably seen in countless sitcoms. This one's notable for three things. It's one of the rare movies where the Boys use their heads and not their fists to save the day. (There's not one "routine.") It was the first movie to replace the simple rendition of "East Side, West Side" and the cursive script in the opening credits to the caricatures of Sach and Slip (and later in the 50s, Duke) used in the credits for most of the remaining entries. It was also the last Bowery Boys movie for series regular Billy Benedict, who had gotten tired of his limited role and the infighting between the boys.

The clouds were still just hanging overhead when I rode to work. It didn't start raining until around dinnertime. We were very busy during rush hour, when people were trying to avoid the weather, but it was otherwise quiet. It was so dead when I left, everyone was just standing around, and I left a little early.

No comments: