Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Staying Out of the Heat

I awoke to the phone ringing. Yes, it was the Acme. Could I come in early? I eventually told them 2:30. That would add a few more hours to the week. I won't be getting much of a paycheck on Friday, so the money will come in handy.

Spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon puttering around. I did things online. I got my rent together. I tried to load some CDs into boxes, but they didn't fit. I ran one of the remaining Danny Kaye movies Lauren brought me when she visited, The Kid From Brooklyn.

In this cross between the Bowery Boys boxing-based films and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Kaye is a mild-mannered milkman who accidentally knocks out a boxer who was picking on his younger sister (Vera-Ellen). The fighter's manager wants to make him a star, but his girlfriend (Eve Arden) is skeptical...and so's the milkman's singer girlfriend (Virginia Mayo). He thinks he's really doing the knock-outs, but his manager has other plans...

Not bad Kaye Goldwyn vehicle, one of the better ones, in fact. If you liked Secret Life of Walter Mitty or Wonder Man, this one's just as fun (though harder to find - to my knowledge, it's not currently on DVD).

I did go to work at 2:30. I'm glad I opted to spend the day inside. Though not quite as hot as the weather claimed (it was probably in the upper 80s-low 90s), it was also very humid. A nice breeze helped. For all the fussing this morning, work was steady when I came in, dead when I left, and never more than mildly busy. I didn't expect much else the week after a major holiday.

No comments: