Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Balance and the Toons

Started out a gorgeous, sunny day with the last of the organizing in the living area I plan on doing for now. I moved the narrow ash heart cut-out shelf into the music area and filled it with the Christmas CDs and cassettes. This freed up room on the CD rack and made things a lot less tight. I won't be able to do anything else in the music area until I can get crates for the records.

Went right into putting up the Valentine's decorations. The majority of my these are cardboard hearts for the walls and old Valentine's cards sent by family members. I have one small heart-shaped box covered with ruffles that was once a box of chocolates that I deemed to pretty to throw away and a tin shaped like a bear in a pink lace dress. I put up a red tinsel garland in the bedroom over the windows behind the desk and a white one in the dining area over the big windows looking out onto the porch.

It was such a nice day, I took a very quick walk after I finished with the decorations. It was probably in the upper 40s-lower 50s, still too warm for this time of year. A few people have Valentine's or winter banners out, but most folks have settled on a wreath, leftover Christmas items, or a bare yard. It was pretty quiet, other than the kids playing in the yard at the Haddon Learning Center (day care center on West Clinton).

When I got home, I made oatmeal and tangerines for lunch while running Bugs Bunny's Cupid Capers and one of the three specials that came on the Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 5 set, Bugs and Daffy's Carnival of the Animals. This unusual half-hour special shows Bugs and Daffy's dueling piano duet on the title classical piece, intermingling with shots of a real orchestra and limited animation footage of the animals being represented in the music. Pretty simple and very strange, but Bugs and Daffy's attempt to one-up each other with fancy animal rhymes is fairly amusing.

Work wasn't too bad. This is the middle of the week and the middle of the month. It was quieter than yesterday, even during rush hour. I had some trouble with a WIC check that wouldn't go through...and my register absolutely had to crash in the middle of figuring it out! A manager took the check at customer service, and I moved to the register behind me. There were no other problems, plenty of help, and my relief was on time.

When I got home, I made Chicken Stir-Fry with leftovers and ran the other Looney Tunes prime-time special from Vol. 5, Bugs Bunny's Bustin' Out All Over. This time, we have three all-new shorts directed by Chuck Jones himself, with a very mild spring/early summer theme. The first depicts a young Bugs and Elmer chasing each other with Elmer's cork pop gun. The second has Bugs being taken to Mars by Marvin the Martian as a pet for his new Earth monster. And where Chuck Jones is, Wil E Coyote and the Road Runner are sure to follow...and they had the last segment to themselves.

After dinner, I tried that Power Yoga DVD I took out of the library. It was basically my morning Vinyasa class at Yogawood with more work on the core muscles. I've discovered that, first of all, while my legs are fairly strong (as I've mentioned,), my core and upper body desperately need work. Second, though I did enjoy the noisier DDP Yoga, I'd like to alternate it with something more serene that allows for better meditation. The Power Yoga was a little too difficult for me, but I'll see if I can find a DVD that's quieter than DDP but allows for more of a workout than the Yoga For Beginners I was using. (After five years, I think I'm beyond that Beginners DVD anyway.)

No comments: