Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Giant(s) Victory

I was up really late with Lauren last night. I ended up spending a lot of this morning sleeping in. When I did finally get up, I made Tangerine-Honey Pancakes and listened to Brunch With the Beatles. "Meanings and Messages" was the theme today. We heard songs with deeper "meanings" in their lyrics, from the meaning of life in George's solo "What Is Life" to John and Paul trying to help their manager Brian Epstein feel better about their newfound fame in "Baby You're a Rich Man," not to mention John's political beliefs cropping up in "Power to the People." I did try calling Mom this morning, but she was busy with my sister Anny and her sons.

I worked on the Career Reinvention book for a little after Brunch With the Beatles ended before heading out to work. It was a gorgeous, sunny day, without the wild wind of the last week. It was also bitter cold, far more than it has been recently, barely making it into the lower 30s. I had to be careful going past the huge puddle of water on the bottom of the hill where Goff Avenue meets Woodlawn Terrace. Most of it had frozen, or was black ice. The last time I tried to ride over that puddle when it was icy, I fell off my bike. Thankfully, I only bruised my elbow and dented a basket that was in bad shape anyway, but I had no desire to tempt the fates.

Much to my surprise, work was only mildly busy throughout the day, despite this being the last day of that big 3-day sale. Perhaps people were avoiding the chilly weather, opting to come out on their day off tomorrow. Or they were watching the big afternoon playoff game between the Ravens and the Texans. Someone early on mentioned that the Ravens were losing - apparently, they pulled off a big play that won them the game, 20-13. As for my shift, it was quiet enough by the end of the evening for me to leave with no relief.

When I got in, I put on a pot of soup, ran CDs and records, and called Mom. I caught her watching the second playoff game of the day between the Giants and the Packers. She was watching it alone in her bedroom. My stepfather was downstairs. He's a huge Giants fan, and he can be unbearably noisy during a game. Other than she's battling a really nasty cold, she was fine. I told her about joining a gym (she was thrilled), the Career Reinvention book, and my organizing.

(Oh, and the Giants, alas, dominated the game and beat last year's Super Bowl champs the Packers 37-20.)

No comments: