Monday, January 02, 2012

Speaking of the (Cold) Weather

It finally dropped back into the 40s where it belongs today, making it a perfect day to start taking down the Christmas decorations. I cleared out the remains of the new shelf this morning, then started taking down the displays. Putting them in boxes or smaller containers instead of tins was a big help. I had no problems fitting everything into one large plastic container this year with room to spare. I had just enough time to get the boxes, piles of Christmas catalogs, and other recyclables together and have a quick lunch before I went to work.

Work was very, very busy all day. Not only is it the beginning of the month, but with Christmas and New Year's on Sundays this holiday season, the Mondays after are counted as federal holidays...which means people who would have normally been at work have extra time off to go shopping. We had long lines all afternoon. Thank heavens my relief was just on time, and I was able to get out quickly. It had clouded over during work and was even flurrying a little as I rode home, but I don't think it's doing anything now.

When I got home, I returned to getting things organized. I did the bears and stuffed animals under the tree next. Cleared out a bunch of Beanie Babies to be donated. I think I'll donate those, except for Gigi (the black poodle who was the star of my college movie "The Ruby of Peril") and a few collectable teddy bears. I have lots of other stuffed toys I like more. Anything that didn't go in the back room was returned to my bed. The clothes and Christmas-only stuffed animals were put in plastic bags, then loaded into another large plastic container. The stockings and my Santa hat were laid on top.

Started Gold Diggers of 1937 while heating up leftovers for dinner. This was the second-to-last Gold Diggers film (1938's Gold Diggers In Paris was the last one), and though it's a little strange compared to the other two, it's still fun. The odd storyline (Dick Powell is a singing life insurance salesman who has to keep Broadway producer Victor Moore in the peak of health if he wants money to back a show; Joan Blondell is a former chorus girl who is now a secretary at the life insurance company) is surprisingly well-integrated with a nice score that includes E.Y Harburg and Harold Arlen's "Speaking of the Weather" (which becomes a charming duet for the then-married Blondell and Powell) and Al Dubin and Harry Warren's hit "With Plenty of Money and You." Berkley gets one really great number, "All's Fair In Love and War."

No comments: