Monday, January 09, 2012

ReInventing Myself

Slept in and didn't get to the laundry until around 11:30. It was busy, but not quite as bad as last week. I did get a washer and dryer pretty fast. I spent the time reading The 10 Laws of Career ReInvention...which turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. The author entirely agrees with me - the long-term job security that many people so heavily rely on and count on is non-existant nowadays. I've tried to tell half the people I know that. You have to constantly reinvent yourself to fit what you want, not the job or the field...which is just what I want to do.

I know I don't belong in the Acme. I never belonged in the Acme. I have no loyalty towards them. They're just a job. I cringe when people recognize me for working there. The truth of the matter is, you can't live on "just a job" anymore. If you're not happy or satisfied, it shouldn't matter how much money you make or how "safe" the job seems to be. I want more control over my life. I need it. I want freedom, creativity, and either steady hours or the ability to make my own hours and rules, and I'm not getting that from being a cashier in a grocery store.

This has confirmed my desire to look for business courses. Right now, it seems like the best path. No, I don't know how to make a business plan, but I can learn. I took a Business Math course in high school that I got a B in, probably the only math course I even did that well with. Business math is something sensible that you can use in your daily life...and I actually, I do. I make a budget every month, and I have a saving and a checking account. I just need to learn more of the basics. I'd like to learn more about freelance and online writing and editing and start to develop a portfolio, too.

When I got home, I put everything away as quickly as I could. Even with a rushed lunch of leftovers, I was still almost late to work! Despite the end of that 3-day-sale, work was really busy again (though not quite as bad as yesterday). Two ladies towards the end of my shift ended up putting back nearly a quarter of their order when they didn't have enough in their food stamp card to cover it! Please, always bring at least two methods of payment, and read the signs carefully to make sure you know what you're getting.

Oh, and I also got the last of my Christmas online orders today. I've been dying to read the last Vesper Holly story, The Xanadu Adventure, and I finally found it for a good price on Barnes and Noble's website. And poor Felicity was the only one of my dolls who didn't have a coat of some kind. The prices on most of her clothes on eBay are still a little higher than I'd like, but I did get her bright red "Cardinal Cloak" for about $18 with shipping, which is much cheaper than the $24 it was when Lissie was archived last year. I'm glad I went ahead and grabbed it. It's a soft, heavy PM piece, much better-made than I figured it would be, and it looks fabulous on Lissie.

No comments: