Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cupid Capers and Other Rainy Day Tales

It was, indeed, raining when I got up this morning. I ran one of the three Valentine's Day-themed DVDs I ordered online last week while having Wheat Chex and a half a grapefruit for breakfast. A Charlie Brown Valentine is basically the same thing as Charlie Brown's Christmas Tales - a series of short skits revolving around a holiday, in this case, Valentine's Day. Unlike Christmas Tales, the skits here are related and lead up to the kids attending a Valentine's Day dance. As usual, Chuck wants to ask the Little Red Haired Girl but is too scared, Peppermint Patty and Marcie fight over who gets to ask Chuck, Sally chases Linus, and Lucy chases Schroder...and Snoopy's too cool for any of them. Though most people on Amazon and elsewhere tend to be hard on this one, I like it more than Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown in some ways - it's not not quite as mean to poor Chuck.

Despite the title, There's No Time For Love, Charlie Brown, really has more to do with back-to-school than with Valentine's Day. The first half of the special is basically the kids at school. In the second half, Chuck, Peppermint Patty, Marcie, and Sally somehow mistake a supermarket for an art museum during a school trip. Peppermint Patty tries to tell Chuck that she likes him, but as usual, it comes out all wrong.

I finally decided to ignore the rain and head over to the laundromat. I did the right thing. There wasn't a soul in the room when I came in. A few people did show up later, but it never got as busy as it did last Monday. I timed it right with the weather, too. It poured while I was inside, but by the time I'd finished, the rain was starting to slow down. I only got a little wet going home.

I had three packages waiting for me in the mail when I got in. One was the final Looney Tunes Golden Collection I didn't have, Volume Five. The other two were the remaining Valentine's Day specials I picked up on Amazon, Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown, and Bugs Bunny's Cupid Capers. Cupid Capers is another Looney Tunes special from the 70s and 80s that is basically bits and pieces of shorts revolving around a thin plot. In this case, an Elmer Fudd-like Cupid is determined to hit the Toons with his arrows, despite Bugs insisting that he's meddling. (And this isn't the last time we'll see the Elmer Cupid, either - he also turned up in at least one Tiny Toons Adventures episode.)

The rain had slowed even more by the time I headed out to work around 1. Work was pretty much the same as yesterday - quiet except for during rush hour. This state of affairs will likely continue until we get closer to the beginning of the month and the many February events, festivities, and holidays.

The rain had vanished completely sometime around 5. I emerged from work to a clear sky and a night that had to be in the 50s. It was even warmer than it had been earlier in the day! I rode home, made spaghetti and meatballs with steamed broccoli for dinner, and watched Looney Tunes.

Now I'm wishing I'd bought this set sooner. The first disc has some of my favorite Bugs and Daffy shorts, including "Ali Baba Bunny" ("I'm rich! I'm a happy miser!"), "Buccaneer Bunny," "A Star Is Bored," "Stupor Duck," and "You Were Never Duckier." (It also includes the full version of one of the shorts exerpted in Cupid Capers, "The Super Snooper.")

No comments: