Sunday, January 01, 2012

There's Gonna Be a Party All Over the World

First of all, Happy New Year! Thank goodness 2012 began far better than 2011 ended. Around midnight, as I sipped my Whipped Syllabub, I heard the sound of several booms going off. I hurried on the porch...and was greeted by the sight of three sets of fireworks going off all around me. There was one by Goff Avenue on the end of the river, another across the river on Kendall Boulevard, and a third over the bridges in Philadelphia. With the leaves gone from the trees, I had a clear view of the spectacle. It was absolutely gorgeous, and it really cheered me up after all of the disasters I ran into yesterday.

A chat with Mom this morning also helped. She was taking down her Christmas decorations and preparing to watch the last Eagles game of the season against division rivals the Washington Redskins (neither team made the playoffs this year). Regarding the vicious poster, she pretty much said the same thing Linda did in her comment - this person is obviously troubled themselves if they're insulting someone they don't even know.

We had a nice, long talk, which I desperately needed. I'm going to look into business courses at Stockton and elsewhere. Even if I just end up doing freelance writing, I think it'll help me with a lot of things. Unlike Rose, I have the time to figure all the logistics out. And my brother Keefe is going into the Navy on Saturday. Mom, Dad, and Keefe's girlfriend Vicki will be dropping him off at the recruiter's office that morning. Friday is my last day to say good-bye to him before he goes. Poor Mom. She's going to miss him something terrible. He's her youngest child, and she's very close to him. She also suggested a website to look at for more - and more varied - DVD and media shelves,

Left right after Mom got off the phone. I used to go out to brunch on New Year's Day, but I couldn't last year because I worked early. Since I didn't work until 3 today, I wanted to revive the tradition. My choices were two popular Collingswood venues, the Pop Shop (fancy diner) and Tortilla Press (Mexican). I finally decided I really wanted my usual Sunday pancakes and wasn't in the mood for Mexican.

The Pop Shop was even more merrily noisy than usual. Every inch of the main room was covered in glittering holiday decorations. Mylar balloons, tinsel garlands, streamers, glitter-trimmed felt stockings, and vintage Santa statues were everywhere. They were so busy, I ended up having lunch at the counter. I had three massive "Gingerbread Pancakes," plate-sized pancakes with enormous pieces of ginger snaps and lots of fresh ginger mixed in. Added a bowl of sliced pineapple and melons for some vitamins. I finished the fruit, but barely finished half the pancakes. They came home with me and will probably provide several breakfasts this week.

Went straight from the Pop Shop to Uncle Ken's, via Newton River Park. It was a lovely day for a ride. At that point, it was still sunny, a bit windy, and colder than yesterday but still not as cold as it should be at this time of year. Uncle Ken's guests were just arriving when I got there. Dad and Jodie were on their way to a party, but I did get to say "hi." My cousins Karen, Jim, and CJ were already there, as were Dolores' son and grandson. I actually had a rather nice discussion with CJ and his mother Karen about movies. Seems five-year-old CJ  has become quite the little fan of classic science fiction and action movies and TV shows like the Star Wars and Indiana Jones series, The Lone Ranger, and many John Wayne films.

Samantha, David, and their kids arrived early in the first quarter. They both loved the cookies I gave them at Christmas. Sam was happy to report that her sons enjoyed their lacrosse-style game (I always give her boys outdoor toys - they have a big backyard), and Faith especially loved her new vintage My Little Pony Sea Pony. She now has a pony she can take in the tub with her! My sisters and I had the exact same blue-and-purple Sea Pony I gave Faith when we were little, and we loved her, too.

I watched the kids toss a Nerf football outside for a while. (I also "Barbie-sat" Faith's new doll, whom she carried around for most of the day.) When we got too chilly, we trooped inside to enjoy Jim's tasty Garlic Salsa (fresh salsa made with garlic and feta in addition to the usual ingredients), David's Cheesy Nacho Dip, cookies and fudge leftover from Christmas, two fruited cheese spreads, and Dolores' yummy baked spiral ham with Shop Rite rolls.

I left for work shortly before the second quarter ended. With the Eagles up 10-0 and many people either sleeping off last night or still at their own parties, the Acme was very quiet tonight. It picked up a little after the game ended, but I mostly just stood around.

It was a little wet outside when I finished my shift. I'd seen clouds on the horizon as I rode to work, and they must have burst sometime during the evening. It wasn't anything big, but it was nice enough to at least make it seem less dry.

When I got home, I ran more Bowery Boys movies, baked that pumpkin bread mix that Keefe gave me for Christmas, and listened to the jubilant return of the Mummers string band, who had also jolted me out of my slumber around 9AM this morning.

(Oh, and the Eagles finally walloped the Redskins 34-10, ending a so-so season on a high note. The Giants and Cowboys are playing for control of the division and, at press-time, are at the half, with the Giants up 21-0.)

Here's hoping you also have a happy, healthy, and fun 2012! : )

No comments: