Saturday, March 03, 2012

Shades of Gray and Sunshine

It stormed last night, but thankfully, by the time I finally got out of bed, the rain was long gone. Only clouds remained as I ate grits and a half of a grapefruit for breakfast, and even those were starting to break apart. I decided I'd be perfectly fine running errands in the neighborhood this morning.

Stopped at a busy bank first to deposit my paycheck, then headed to the Oaklyn Library for my volunteering session there. I just missed their big Green Eggs and Ham - themed breakfast. There were still a couple of women chatting as I organized DVDs and shelved and organized books in the kids' area. Went to WaWa next for milk. Treated myself to a fountain Coke Zero with small squirts of cherry and vanilla syrups as a treat after a very long week.

When I got in, I ate lunch and watched Springtime for Roo. Despite the title, Roo isn't really the main character in this Winnie the Pooh Easter tale. Rabbit is supposed to be the Easter Bunny, but upset over being slighted after trying to make Easter perfect the year before, he has canceled the holiday and turned it into Spring Cleaning Day. The others don't understand Rabbit's reasoning and try to have Easter, but when Rabbit blows up at them, it'll take intervention from the Narrator and Roo's reminders that holidays are supposed to be fun to teach ever-controlling Rabbit a lesson.

This is the culmination of every Winnie the Pooh special that had someone canceling a holiday because it didn't work out they way they wanted it to. (Rabbit did it twice, at Thanksgiving and in the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh Valentine's Day episode.) It's also the Hundred Acre Woods version of A Christmas Carol, with the Narrator filling in for the ghosts. It's a little strange, and kids who are expecting more of Roo may be disappointed to see that the focus is mostly on Rabbit. It's out-of-print and, unless you're desperate to find something Easter-ish for the kiddies or your kids are big Pooh fans, I don't recommend it.

I did a little work on the computer, then headed to the Acme. The sun had come out around the time I was walking home from WaWa. It was utterly gorgeous at 2:30, sunny and breezy, with only puddles to indicate yesterday's storms. It was busy when I came in at rush hour, but it slowed down later. We had more help this time, too. And while the bathrooms are still being worked on, the back room is almost finished and only needs to be painted - we can eat in there again.

And Lauren and I have decided we're going to work on that final Dream World story together. I started it this afternoon...but we both wrote this series, so it makes sense that we both end it. Look for it by next week, along with updates saying that this is the last story.

No comments: