Wednesday, March 07, 2012

She Hangs Out

Started an absolutely gorgeous early spring morning with a gym trip, stopping first at America's Best to pick up my contacts. There was a class going when I arrived around 10:30, and it was really busy. I was lucky I was able to get a bike! Thankfully, after a good, solid work-out, the class was done, and so were most of the women. I was able to get to the leg weight machines easily.

Went straight home after the gym. I ran a few more Monkees episodes while having leftovers for lunch. "Hitting the High Seas" takes the guys aboard a pirate ship, where Davy, Peter, and Micky foil a plot to attack a cruise ship. "Some Like It Lukewarm" has a local connection - favorite Philly DJ Jerry Blavat falls for a gender-bending Davy, who got stuck in drag so the group could join a mixed-gender rock contest.

My favorite Monkees episode is "The Devil and Peter Tork," a Monkees take on Faust that may be the only time they took on a villain whom you felt would do them real harm. Sweet-natured Peter signs a contract for a harp with the owner of a pawnshop...not knowing that "Mr. Zero" is the devil himself. When he comes to collect the gentle bassist, the other three literally go to (cuckoo!) and back to save their friend's soul! (And yes, there's some very amusing cracks at network censorship in the 60s.)

I spent the rest of the afternoon doing online stuff and reading the book on starting an at-home business that Linda Young sent me. Thanks, Linda! I really need to see if they have books on copyediting businesses, too.

I wish work was as much fun. It was nothing but a pain all night...and for once, it had nothing to do with customers. Our computer system was down all night and running VERY slow at times. I'd have to wait forever to ring up one item! And while they have finished remodeling the bathrooms, they look terrible, more like bathrooms in hospitals...and no stalls, which is odd. Not to mention, it was dead all day, and we had tons of help. I easily got off work with no relief.

No comments: