Sunday, March 11, 2012

Too Much Experience Necessary

Started off a sunny, windy, chilly day with Brunch With the Beatles and Strawberry Pancakes for breakfast. The emphasis today was on songs released in the spring. This mostly included earlier songs like "Please Please Me" and "Help!," but I also heard "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds" in there.

I didn't have much of a morning. I tried calling Mom twice, but never got her. I tried calling my friend Pattie, but her voice mail box is STILL full. I went online and debated whether or not to start a website, but then I wondered what I would write on it. I don't have a portfolio or examples of my work, unless there's a lot of fans of Monkees and Bowery Boys fanfiction in the business world. I wish freelance writing wasn't so hard to break into, especially if you're shy or have a hard time selling your work.

I don't know any writers. I don't know where they live or work or hang out. I really need to find forums for Philadelphia area writers. The only writer's group in South Jersey I could find a website for isn't accepting members right now. And I really need to check out conferences. I want to find members, "natives" who could talk to me. I just have no idea where to go with it.

And I came up with yet another idea. I still want to do copy editing and newsletters and such for local businesses. Something else I feel passionately about is bullying, especially regarding girls. Bullying and the lack of knowledge about early onset puberty in the 80s damaged my childhood and continues to haunt my life to this day, and I don't want that to happen to any other kid. I'd like to write a series of essays (including the one on my current website) and self-publish it. I don't care about making money. I care about getting demons out...and finding ways to keep other young girls facing the same problems to be as hurt as I was.

I finally got fed up around 2:30 and decided I needed chocolate. I made Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins from an Alton Brown cookbook while watching the end of Around the World in 80 Days. I revised the recipe a little, replacing part of the required sugar with apple juice. They came out absolutely delicious, moist and flavorful.

The muffins came out just in time for me to head to work. I was surprised to discover that the weather, while still sunny, was quite changed from the morning. The wind was dying and it was much warmer, probably in the upper 50s. That may have effected work, too. We were steady all day, but not too busy, and it was quiet by the time I  headed out at 8. It went very fast, and there were no problems.

No comments: