Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Muppets and the Fog

I awoke to the phone. Yes, it was the Acme. Could I come in as soon as possible? I would come in at 2 PM, an hour before scheduled. I still had things I wanted to do before work.

Called Mom during breakfast. I've been meaning to, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe it's just as well. Mom says she's been super-busy at the Ferry. There's been thick ice on the Bay, extending as far out as the Atlantic Ocean. They've been dealing with a lot of cancellations and none-too-happy commuters.

I took so long at breakfast, I ended up having to rush everything anyway. I never did get to the Oaklyn Library today. I did fit in Studio LuLoo. The owner was having a conference with some of the other volunteers when I came in. I helped one of them wipe down all the equipment and musical instruments used for their Open Mic Night, then did a smaller batch of dishes. After I finished there, I went right to WaWa for a turkey hoagie and mocha cappuccino.

When I got home, I ran an episode of The Muppet Show as I very quickly ate my hoagie and got ready for work. One of my favorite episodes of the third season had singer and comedienne Pearl Bailey as the guest star. While "Pearlie Mae" proves to be a favorite with the Electric Mayhem in particular, Dr. Bunson Honeydew invents edible paper clips (and poor Beaker is the one who gets a taste of them), the Newscaster has a load of hats dumped on him, and the Pigs In Space turn into food. (Miss Piggy is not a happy camper.) When the huge finale number based on "The Joust" from Camelot has to be canceled, the other Muppets persuade Kermit to keep it going by using songs from other musicals of the 50's and 60's. (Incidentally, one of those songs cribbed is "Hello Dolly." Pearl Bailey played Dolly in the all-black cast of the original show in the late 60's.)

Work was quiet when I came in. It had been cloudy and damp all day, but actually fairly warm, and not rainy. Some of the other cashiers said it was busy earlier, which explains why they called me in. It did get crazy during the 4 PM rush hour. At that point, our forecast called for anything from 6 to 12 inches of snow. (It's since been dialed down to 3 to 7.) I'm more concerned about ice than snow. Unlike the last time we had a snow storm, it was just too warm for the snow to stick. Not to mention, it's supposed to be back in the 30's by Saturday.

It was still busy when I got out of work. Thank goodness my relief was one of the few older women who works late and is almost always on time. I headed out into a thick, pea-soup-peanut-butter fog that made me wonder if I'd somehow ridden straight to San Francisco. It started raining heavily about an hour after I got in, and has been pouring ever since.

Rose called me around 8:30. I had tried calling Jodie and Dad for a ride tomorrow earlier in the afternoon, but Dad has a doctor's appointment. Rose says she or her boyfriend Craig would be willing to drive me to work tomorrow if the snow does, indeed, stick to the streets.

(She also says she works at the Camden City Hall and knows a great restaurant with authentic Latin American food nearby where we can have lunch on my jury duty day. Suddenly, that day doesn't seem quite so unbearable.)

As of this second, the rain is supposed to turn to snow and sleet by early morning. However, it sounds like we'll stay above freezing until late tomorrow which time, I'll be done with work and on my way home. I'm off at 3. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: