Wednesday, June 22, 2016

All Time High

Lauren and I spent her last morning here playing more Lego Indiana Jones 2. We got through most of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The first round was a puzzle that had Indy and Sallah, and then Indy and Marion, figuring out how to reveal the hiding place of the Ark and navigate around snakes. (The snakes slow down Indy, who doesn't like them.) The second one was another crash-and-bash round, this time running into Germans in the desert.

Jodie called last night and said someone would come for us around 10 of 12. I helped Lauren get her suitcase and backpack downstairs around 11:40. Dad was right on time. There was no traffic whatsoever, and we had no problems getting to the Cherry Hill Train Platform. When we got there, Lauren said she'd be fine. Dad and I left her there and headed home.

(And yes, we both had a great time. I love it when Lauren and I get together. She's one of the few people who really understand me. We have great conversations. Oh, and Lauren e-mailed me around 9:40. She got into Albany just fine and is likely long at home with her parents by now.)

When I got back in, I cleaned up a bit, then headed out. I had a very few errands to run, starting with a quick stop at the Oaklyn Library. It was a gorgeous day, sunny, windy, dry, and in the mid-80's. Needless to say, it was me, the librarian, and CNN for most of the half-hour I was there. I organized DVDs, especially the kids' titles, then looked the kids' section over.

Headed to Common Ground Coffee House for a quick lunch. I had a slice of bacon and fresh kale quiche and my favorite spicy sweet iced tea. They, too, were quiet, with only two other people working on laptops. I enjoyed a blissfully quiet lunch.

Next stop was the Acme for my schedule and a little bit of grocery shopping. My schedule is 9 AM shifts tomorrow and Saturday, Friday off. That's fine. For one thing, the Acme was dead as a doornail today. It probably won't pick up until we get close to the end of the month and the 4th of July next week. It's the middle of the month, and the weather is gorgeous. I saw a poster for a "First Farm Friday" at Common Ground. It looks like it'll be Oaklyn's farm market, held on the last Friday of every month from this Friday through September. Checking out that will make up for not getting to the Collingswood Farm Market on Saturday.

I didn't have much of a grocery list, at any rate. Eggs were on a good sale again, so I grabbed those. Restocked white beans (cannellini this time), ground chicken, chocolate chips, cheese (went with sharp cheddar), and canned chicken. They were having a really good Betty Crocker cake mix sale. Picked up Golden Vanilla to try something at home.

Ran an episode of The Backyardigans as I got organized. Uniqua and Tyrone are asking Tasha "What's Bugging You?" Wormens, the Technicolor worm-like critters who occasionally turn up on the show, have taken over Tasha's house, and she's frantic! Mr. Spiffy (Pablo) is coming to see her house and possibly let her into his Spiffy Club. He won't let her in if her house is less-than-spotless. Bug exterminators Uniqua and Tyrone have their own ways of trying to get rid of these uninvited pests.

Spent the next few hours working on my stories and ideas for it. Leia Skylark and her godparents' long-time chauffeur and handyman Artie are being followed in the family car. Artie's a bit freaked, but Leia carries a gun in her purse and has no trouble returning fire when they start shooting at her.

After I broke for the night, I had leftovers for dinner, then made Blueberry Crumble Cookies. I loved the Blueberry Crumble Bars I had last week so much, I thought I'd recreate the flavors as a cookie. (Plus the blueberries were old and I wanted to get rid of them.) They came out pretty darn well for something I improved, sweet and very soft.

Ran Octopussy as I ate and baked. A case involving a Faberge egg up for auction and jewel smuggling turns out to be a lot more complicated when a British agent turns up dead. Enter James Bond (Roger Moore), who tracks the egg to its new owner, a Frenchman (Louis Jordan) living in India, and his boss, the elusive Octopussy (Maud Abrams), who runs the all-female smuggling ring/circus. The Frenchman has links to an East German general who wants to start World War III; Octopussy just wants to continue with her business. James has to figure out how to stop the Frenchman and the general from committing mass murder in the name of using their military might, while romancing the exotic businesswoman.

Along with The Spy Who Loved Me, this has long been my favorite Roger Moore Bond movie. I love the light-hearted, almost Indiana Jones-esque feel it has, especially during the first half. (The fact that George MacDonald Fraser, who wrote The Flashman books and the swashbuckler spoof The Pyrates, worked on the script for this movie explains a lot about the tone.) The second half in East Germany gets progressively more dour and less fun. It doesn't help that the movie really has about two or three climaxes too many and goes on for way too long.

If you like your Bond on the lighter side or are a fan of Moore's Bond, this is not a bad place to start if you have time on your hands.

Finished the night in the bath. Ahhhh. I needed that so badly after all the walking we did this week. I read books on Star Wars and musicals and listened to my "jazz and rock artists interpret Gershwin" CD.

And that finishes my vacation. As I mentioned, I'll be resuming regular work tomorrow, though I do have off Friday.

No comments: