Saturday, June 11, 2016

One Day More

Though I had an early work shift today, I left a bit before I usually do in order to take in at least a little of Oaklyn's Town-Wide Yard Sale. Oaklyn's residents, besides me, are mainly families and elderly couples living near their grown children. I mostly saw recent toys and knick-knacks. I did make one really cool find on the end of Kendall Boulevard, near the ramp. Among more recent toys, I spotted a large, pale-blue stuffed pony with pink embroidered bows on her side and a long pink mane and tail. An older tag on her rear that said "Hasbro Softies," similar to the one my Wuzzle Hoppo has, confirmed her as a vintage stuffed My Little Pony. I figured she was probably Bow Tie, given her embroidered cutie marks. I don't normally collect My Little Pony, but she's in surprisingly good shape for a 30-year-old stuffed horse, still very soft and huggable.

(I did some research online tonight, and I discovered that yes, she is Bow Tie, one of the stuffed versions of the vinyl Pony toys Hasbro released in the early 80's. Mine is the first one on this page - My Little Pony Plushes.)

Work was mildly steady in the morning, otherwise not all that busy. Not only is there a lot going on this weekend - barbecues and graduation celebrations in addition to Oaklyn's Town-Wide Yard Sale - but a lot of people may have run down to the Shore. I did round up carts; spent a little time in the registers and trying to mop up the melting freezers, too. I mostly spent the day doing what very few returns there were...which means I spent a lot of the day wandering around the store, hoping that I looked like I was doing something. I was very happy when I finished my shift and could hurry home.

Spent the rest of the afternoon working on my story. Bored at the party, Leia admires her host's collection of South and Central American antiquities. Tarkin comes in to tell her about them...and the room automatically gets ten degrees cooler. Tarkin is a skeletal fascist whose smile would chill Death Valley in July. Leia doesn't like how condescending he is to her, or how he talks about how the Empire will use the artifacts to rule the world and how it's inevitable.

A lot of this is going to get re-written. Here, Bail Organa (Leia's adopted dad in the actual series) is Leia and Luke's godfather. He and his wife paid for their education and encouraged their career pursuits, especially Bail. Originally, it was his idea to go to Tarkin's party. I'm going to change that to he was killed a few months before, and his research on the Swords of Light went missing...and has recently been found in Tarkin's custody.

I broke around 6:30 to have the last of the leftover asparagus and meatloaf muffins for dinner. Watched Hey There, It's Yogi Bear while I ate. After stealing one too many picnic baskets, Ranger Smith decides to send Yogi off to the San Diego Zoo. Yogi tricks his way into staying, but Cindy Bear heard and got herself sent away. Yogi and Boo Boo go after her. They find her a prisoner in a small-time circus. After they get away, they still have to make it cross-country, past sheriffs with guns and through the Big City before they can finally get Ranger Smith's attention and get home. Cute feature-length road trip tale is fun for fans of Yogi, the Hanna Barbara funny animal cartoons of the 60's and 70's, or young kids who'll enjoy the animals' antics.

Finished out the night with a bath. Ahhh, that felt good, especially on my poor sore feet. I read Strippers, Sharks, and Showgirls and kicked back, enjoying the quiet. 

And...today was my last day of work for over a week and a half. Tomorrow and Monday are regular days off. My vacation technically starts Tuesday, the day Lauren arrives. I don't really have any major plans for tomorrow, besides writing and chores at home. Monday will just be a regular day off - I'll do my laundry and hit the Haddon Township Library. 

No comments: