Saturday, June 18, 2016

I'm Doin' Fine Now

Lauren slept so late, it was quarter of 11 before we got going. I ran an episode of Tiny Toon Adventures as I finished breakfast and she got organized. Buster, Babs, and Calamity go "Inside Plucky Duck" to see what makes him tick. Like many boys in the early 90's, one of the things making him tick was Batman - or at least, a spoof, "Batduck" (with Hampton as Robin and Elmyra as Alfred). The second episode had Plucky stuck in a wild take that turns him into a walking eyeball.

We finally got to the Collingswood Farm Market around quarter after 11. Even at that late date, it was still busy as heck. The watermelon I got from Jodie should be ok for fruit, but I needed a few vegetables. Snap peas are finally out. I bought those and a nice little head of organic Romaine lettuce.

I haven't wandered around Collingswood for a while, and it's been even longer since I've done it with Lauren. We ended up at the record store first. Lauren browsed, but she eventually headed out and went a few doors down to a toy shop that specializes in games and educational items. I came up with one of the MGM double soundtracks, this one pairing the 1954 remake of Rose Marie with Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and another double-disc K-Tel pop collection.

Lauren and I met for lunch at Sabrina's Cafe around noon. As one of the newest restaurants in eatery-heavy Collingswood, they were packed when we arrived. We ended up getting seats at one of the high island tables in the middle of the room. I had a tuna salad on multigrain bread with sprouts, avocado, and tomato and sweet potato fries dusted with powdered sugar. Lauren had fish tacos. Both were HUGE, overstuffed and delicious. For once, even I couldn't finish my sandwich or my fries.

We browsed around a bit after that. We both hit pay dirt at Frugli Consignment. I found two Lands' End items, khakis for work and shorts. Lauren found a good dress shirt for her dad for Father's Day. I didn't get anything at The Candy Jar. Lauren bought a bag of orange cream hard candies for her dad and a small bag of Dum Dum Lollipops for her. (She says she loves them, but the regular bags are too much for one person.) I bought a discontinued bar of lime-coconut soap at a natural soap seller.

At least it was a beautiful day for a walk, into the mid-80's, sunny and breezy. We enjoyed our hikes to Collingswood and back to my apartment. After playing some more Lego Indiana Jones, we went back out to get our laundry done. They were really busy, but Lauren was down to her last shirt. I washed some things, too, including my summer quilt.

When we got home, I made scrambled eggs with cheese and steamed snap peas. We watched Raiders of the Lost Ark while we ate and Temple of Doom later. The first two tales of Indiana Jones has him searching for the title religious artifact with his former lover Marion Ravenwood. The Nazis dog them at every turn, but in the end, it's history that has the last laugh. Temple of Doom goes more into fantasy as Indy, the Chinese kid he's currently protecting, and a spoiled singer seek the lost stones from an Indian village.

Returned to Lego Indy between movies. We're not getting very far there. We can't figure out where to go next. We got past the driving round with the huge Russian cutter vehicle, but we keep finding bonus rounds before the regular ones.

Tomorrow, we're going to sleep in, then take in the Market Place and say "hi" to my dad for Father's Day.

No comments: