Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Last Train to Cherry Hill

Began another sunny, beautiful day with breakfast and cartoons. Strawberry Shortcake In Big Apple City was the second of the original Strawberry specials. Strawberry is on her way to the largest city in Strawberryland as a finalist in the Big Bake Off. Unfortunately, the Peculiar Purple Pie Man is the other finalist, and he'll do anything to stop Strawberry from winning! She's able to befriend the Bohemian artists in Spinach Village, including series regulars Orange Blossom and Lemon Meringue, who lend a hand.

Spent the rest of the morning doing the last work on my fanfic I'll get to for over a week. Leia arrives at the apartment she and Luke share to find it torn to shreds. Someone came looking for something...and Leia discovers what when she picks up an envelope from her godfather in hers and Luke's mail slot. She wants Artie, her godparents' driver, to take her to their house so she can search her godfather's desk for more clues. She swears she's being followed, by a man in a green and gray suit who was at Vader's party...

Broke for lunch around noon. I quickly ate a peach and two blueberry muffins while watching an episode of The Backyardigans. Pablo is "Le Master of Disguise." He can appear as anybody, from a cowboy to a conductor. Inspector Austin is on his trail. He follows him to the Orient Express...but with shady characters like Cowboy Tyrone, Conductor Uniqua, and Acrobat Tasha onboard, it's not going to be easy to track down the crafty penguin!

Headed out around 12:30 for an errand run, starting with a quick volunteering session at the Oaklyn Library. They were surprisingly busy for a gorgeous day, with a young woman sprawled in in colorful beanbag chairs reading and several people on the computers. I stuck to organizing the DVDs.

Went straight to Haddonfield for counseling after leaving the library. I got there early, so Mrs. Stahl and I started early. I didn't have that much to report. I told her about Lauren coming later, my feelings on my current job. that both of my fathers are doing much better, and all the cleaning and writing I've been doing. I'm still getting used to the idea that yes, there might be people out there who like the same things I do, even if they aren't nearby. I know a lot of people are used to fandom and having other people like the same things you do, but...I've been burned so much, it's kind of hard for me.

Stopped at Primo's Water Ice on the way home for a treat. I had a small Chocolate Covered Marshmallow. They were quiet for late afternoon. I did hear someone playing games in "The Ice Box" (their back room with the video games), but there was no line. It was pretty good - not as chocolate-y as Cabana's version, but it had actual mini-marshmallows. Also jumped into the CVS in Westmont fast for dish washing liquid (the small Palmolive was on sale) and more money for the week.

It was an absolutely glorious day for a long bike ride. I came home via Newton Lake Park again, went through there both times. There were a lot of people out and about, walking or fishing or just enjoying the day. I couldn't blame them. The digital sign at the Westmont Fire House said it was 79 today. There was a nice wind that kept it from feeling too hot, and it was wonderfully dry, no humidity at all.

When I got home, I finished out "Le Master of Disguise," then watched One Crazy Summer while making poached chicken legs in lemon wine sauce with fingerling potatoes and steamed broccoli for dinner. Hoops McCaan (John Cusack) goes to Nantucket with his best friend to learn about life and love for his art assignment to get into college. He falls for a young singer (Demi Moore) whose grandfather's summer home is targeted by a nasty seafood restaurant owner who wants to demolish it for a development. After the bank forecloses, the group opts to join the Nantucket Regatta and win it to exchange the trophy for the house. Hoops is afraid of the water and thinks he can't handle being on a boat...but he and his friends have a lot to learn about love, leadership, and teamwork. Strange but enjoyable "slobs vs snobs" 80's comedy.

Switched to Recess: School's Out while making Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cupcakes as a surprise for Lauren. The kids of Third Street School are all on their way to camp for the summer...except for a bored T.J Dekwiller. In his attempt to find something interesting to do, T.J stumbles head-long into a plot to end summer vacation forever! Unique ode to time off is fun for fans of Recess, 90's animation, or the music of the late 60's (which figures into the plot).

Recess ended just as I was heading downstairs for Dad to pick me up. There was a little bit of traffic on Cuthbert Road, but otherwise, we had no trouble getting to Cherry Hill to pick up Lauren. Other than being 15 minutes late into New York, she'd encountered no trouble on the road, either.

When we got back to my place, I showed her the few changes at my apartment since last year (especially to the bathroom) and she called her parents to let them know she was here. We were going to go for a walk, but we decided we weren't up to it. We tried to play Lego Star Wars. Her nuchucks gave her so much trouble, we gave up and switched to Pac Man Party. We played the shortest round, the Celebration Board. She won, but just barely - she got the last castles and beat the huge teddy bear robot with the Wolverine claws.

I put on the first Star Wars movie, A New Hope, as we tried to get her set up on the internet. (It took a while, but she's on there now.) Desert farmer Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) is bored with his life and would give anything for some adventure. He gets a lot more action than he bargained for when his family buys a droid with a message from a beautiful princess (Carrie Fisher) who was kidnapped by the evil Empire. With the help of mysterious Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi (Alec Guinness) and tough smuggler Han Solo (Harrison Ford), Luke goes to the fearsome Death Star to rescue the princess, then joins the Rebels to eliminate the planet-destroying weapon.

Not my favorite Star Wars movie, but probably the most iconic. My favorite part by far is Princess Leia's hilarious rescue. It's so much faster and funnier than the rest of the movie. The movie pretty much ends for me after they get off the Falcon at Yavin IV - the trench run doesn't do much for me. Still recommended as the one that started the franchise, and probably the movie most people still think of when they think of Star Wars.

Lauren spent the whole day traveling (and had to get up early to do so), and I did a lot of running around. We're heading to bed and are going to sleep in. We only have a walk in Oaklyn and Audubon planned for tomorrow.

No comments: