Sunday, April 23, 2017

Spring With the Family

Got a quick start this morning with breakfast and one of my Have a Nice Day! 70s CDs. Since I had a little time, I thought I'd make Banana Pancakes. They took longer than I thought they would. I ended up burning one on the bottom. I had just enough time to eat them, get dressed, pack lunch, and rush off to work.

Work was a pain in the rear. We were, once again, a lot busier than we have been. Everyone must be restocking their larders after spring break. I spent the morning doing returns. There was another bagger outside doing carts. He left at noon, but they didn't send me out until 12:30. I was supposed to go on break at 12:30. The manager said "but you can do carts! You don't have to go on break now!" I did carts. Another bagger finally came out to relieve me twenty minutes later.

I can understand their concern. By the time I came back out, the cart corrals were full. I have no idea what the other bagger was doing this morning - one of the managers must have called him to do something else. Spent the rest of the afternoon gathering carts with the other bagger. Not that I was complaining once I'd had my break. It was too nice to be inside anyway. The afternoon was sunny, breezy, and warm, but not above average for this time of year, probably in the lower 60's.

Took the long way home down Nicholson Road to extend my time out in the sun a little longer. I was far from the only person enjoying a Sunday drive. I dodged cars and other bikers all down Nicholson. Atlantic Avenue had fewer cars, but it did have its fair share of bikers.

As I was riding past West Clinton, I noticed a folding sign set up next to Phillies Yummies stating that they were finally opening for the season on Friday. Yay! Either the kids changed their minds and decided they'd be able to manage it, or they found someone who did have the time.

As soon as I got in, I changed into regular clothes, then settled down at the computer to work on my story. Henry and Luke invite Leia and her aunt to see the sights of Naboo. They both accept. Not only does Leia want to learn more about them and what they do, but regardless of local politics, they are still on vacation. She tries to question Henry as they leave, but he ends up attempting to flirt with her instead.

Jodie called me around 4. Did I want to come over for dinner? She and Dad were making chili. Sure, why not? The fish cakes I was going to have could wait another day. I headed over to their house about an hour later. The chili was ready when I arrived. It was delicious, salty and hearty and filling. We had Italian bread and butter with it while switching between Donnie Brasco and the Phillies-Braves game. (The Phillies won, BTW, 5-2.) I went outside to chat with Jodie and some of the neighbors for a while before heading home.

(I also asked Jodie about the doctor. No, she hasn't heard from her. She's going to call her this week.)

Finished the night with more writing. Luke and Henry do, indeed, take them to see all the tourist sites they said they would. Luke even takes the women shopping and proves to have quite a knack for it. When Leia asks him about it, he says he used to help his Aunt Berta make his clothes, since he grew out of them so fast. His aunt told him it was a knack he picked up from his fashionable mother. Leia's a bit surprised when Luke tells her his mother's name was Padme. Padme also happens to be the name of the previous queen of Naboo, who was killed by her own guards when Coruscant invaded.

No comments: