Wednesday, April 05, 2017

It's Lovely Day Today

Had my first of two early work sessions this morning. It wasn't bad when I got in, possibly because the weather was absolutely gorgeous. Even at 9 in the morning, it was in the 60's, sunny, and breezy. I did the carts for about 40 minutes when I got in, then spent the rest of the time doing returns. The noon rush hour was a pain, though. It got really crazy, to the point where I ended up stuck in a register for a while. When I tried to tell the manager that the carts were getting low, even with another bagger outside, she wouldn't listen to me and told me to do trash instead. She did listen to the head manager. I spent the last hour helping the other bagger with the carts and organizing the newly-arrived potted pansies with the floral department manager.

I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Since it was such a nice day (and it's not supposed to be nice tomorrow), I figured I'd take the long way home down Nicholson. They were a little busy by the Wal Mart entrance and the senior center. Otherwise, most people were probably at work or on their way home or to the shopping center.

First thing on the agenda when I got home, after I changed into a blouse and the first pair of shorts I'd worn since last fall, was to clear out nearly half of the Ever After High dolls. I really overdid (and overspent on) that particular collection. There's one more doll I want. After that, unless it's truly unique, I'm not buying it. I'm tired of cleaning under and around dolls. I kept Cerise, Ashlynn, Hunter, the O'Hair twins, Jillian, Darling, Cedar, Maddie, Mira/The Evil Queen, Justine, Rosabella, and C.A Cupid. (Cupid was put away to be used as a Valentine's Day decoration.) The remaining dolls and their accessories and stories will be donated to the kids at Studio Luloo.

I'm also going to donate some of the remaining smaller WebKinz I have. I'm keeping Bernice the Brown Bear, Westbrook the Eagle, any Webkinz used as season decor, and the unique dragons, unicorn, and "Doodle" sparkly winged creatures. The Han, Leia, and Lando dolls replaced the Webkinz on the Beanie Baby shelves.

It was so nice, I decided to head out for a short walk in Veteran's Memorial Park next-door after I finished with the dolls. I haven't had a nice stroll over there in ages. The day was even lovelier by 3:30. A breeze barely ruffled the bottle-green creek. Most of the trees in the park haven't quite started sprouting leaves yet, but some of the bushes and shrubs are already looking green. I could no longer stroll into the garden to see how it was coming. Heavy wrought-iron fencing, not unlike the fences Charlie uses to keep his dogs in the yard, now surrounded the land. Lights along the path and black metal picnic tables and benches were more welcome additions. I plopped at a picnic table near the edge of the peninsula and basked in the warm sunlight.

Worked on writing for a few hours when I got in. Leia manages to get the boys out of a firefight by using their unique, light-shooting guns to blast open a stairwell. She leads them into a room filled with bags of garbage. Thankfully, they find a dumbwaiter-like tunnel that allows them to crawl out rather than a monster.

Called Dad and Jodie after I broke for dinner. First of all, I wanted to ask for a ride to work tomorrow in advance. It's supposed to pour all day. Second, I wanted to tell them Lauren and I are hoping to go on vacation in Pittsfield from July 15th through the 22nd. I thought traveling on Saturday would be a lot easier than doing it on Sunday or Monday. I'm going to go home with them after work tomorrow to choose the itineraries and have stuffed peppers. (It sounds like they're going to get me Rogue One for my birthday as well.)

Finished the night with scrambled eggs and vegetables for dinner, then working on a crocheting project. Ran Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 while I worked. Harry, Ron, and Hermione are now on the run after the Ministry of Magic is taken over by the evil dark lord Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes). Dumbledore left them a book, a flashlight-like device, and Harry's golden snitch that he nearly swallowed in his first Quiddich game in the hope that they'll lead them to the Horocruxes, the objects that allow Voldemort to remain immortal. Harry also receives the Sword of Gryffendor house founder Godrich Gryffendor. As the kids flee Voldemort's people and search from the Ministry of Magic to English countryside, to find the objects. But they're not with their teachers anymore, and they have no idea of whom they can trust...including each other.

Action-and-plot-packed beginning of the end for this series. The ending in particular packs a wallop. Between the violence and the many references back as far as Sorcerer's Stone, I absolutely wouldn't come anywhere near these unless you've read and/or seen the rest of this series, at least Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince.

No comments: