Sunday, April 30, 2017

Not-So Easy Rider

I turned over in my bed, stretched and yawned, and looked at the clock. It said "8:34." I had to be at work by 9. I'd never jumped out of bed so fast in my life! I rushed around as fast and as hard as I could, trying to eat muffins, get changed, and grab my bag and phone and a snack for work. I heard Charlie leave a message on my phone. I ignored him. I didn't have the time to deal with him at the moment.

Charlie was outside when I was leaving, screaming at the top of his lungs that I was being noisy upstairs and I sounded like bowling balls rolling around and why wasn't I more considerate? I've had quite enough of him. I yelled back that he needs to stop screaming obscenities at his silly dogs at all hours, especially when he's outside and in public, and that I couldn't help the noise. I was late for work. I took off without another look back.

After all that, work was a little less of a pain. It was busy for most of the day - the beginning of the month is tomorrow. I did end up in the register for about 20 minutes when another cashier's register went down. Otherwise, I was mostly either outside or doing returns.

I couldn't bring myself to go home. I was kind of afraid to. Checked my phone at work. Wrote story notes while watching people stroll down the street at the picnic benches on West Clinton. Rode over to Dad and Jodie's, but they weren't home.

Out of options, I finally went back to the apartment. I'd seen bikers riding everywhere, in Oaklyn and at the Acme, all day. I figured out why when I saw the gathering of men and women on motorcycles across from us at the VFW. They were holding some kind of party or rally. They kept Charlie occupied for the next few hours, long enough for me to change, grab a quick lunch, listen to The Carpenters' Greatest Hits, and head out.

A new Dollar General just opened on the White Horse Pike. I wanted to check it out. It turned out to be a plain, very industrial pale gray cinderblock building about a block or so from the post office. It was pretty much Family Dollar with slightly nicer merchandise, but the inside was clean, and it was a monumental improvement over the abandoned Italian restaurant that used to be there. I want a second fan for my apartment, but the rent is due tomorrow, and I really don't have the money. I settled for sponges, hand soap (the pump in the bathroom just ran out), a Sparkling Ice (never seen Grape-Raspberry before), and a Reeces Fast Break.

Headed home and worked on writing for a few hours. Leia is listening to Hux rattle on about Vader's trap to capture the Crimson Hawk at the Royal Regatta when she spies two figures across the street. They both wear heavy cloaks, odd for June, and carry baskets laden with food. She follows them into a pottery shop, where they seem to have vanished. The impoverished shop keeper admits that the Crimson Hawk and Golden Eagle have been bringing him food and money for ages, but he has no idea where they go afterwards.

Broke around quarter of 7 to finally make those tacos for dinner. Added green beans with sliced cherry tomatoes cooked in olive oil and fresh chicken broth for extra color and vitamins. Figured Steppenwolf's Greatest Hits was appropriate to listen to while I ate, since the rally continued to rage across the street. "Born to Be Wild" is often associated with bikers and other such tough-guy travelers to this day.

No comments: