Wednesday, December 21, 2022

The First Day of Winter

Got a quick start this morning with breakfast and Bugs Bunny's Christmas Tales. The first story in this all-original anthology is a condensed Christmas Carol, with Yosemite Sam as Scrooge, Porky as Cratchit, and Bugs as Nephew Fred and the Ghosts. The second has Wile E. Coyote chasing Road Runner into the snow-covered mountains as he rocket-skates and skies to catch his dinner. Taz ends up in a Santa suit in the last short, with Bugs trying to keep him from completely destroying his house.

Headed off to work just as that ended. Work was a little busier than yesterday. People are starting to come out of the malls and pick up ingredients for baking and Christmas dinner, along with cards and wrapping paper and bags. I spent the first hour doing returns; shelved candy between customers. We had enough help by quarter of 3 for me to shut down without a relief.

Soon as I got home, I changed and loaded fudge into bags and boxes while watching The Year Without a Santa Claus. I went further into my favorite Rankin-Bass special at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog on Christmas Eve 2019.


Let the DVD move on to another Rankin-Bass favorite, Nestor the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey, as I tied the bags with curling ribbon and loaded them into my backpack. I went further into this charming Biblical tale of the donkey who carried Mary to Bethlehem in an entry last year.


Spent the next couple of hours writing. The Nutcracker and chatty Major Mint (Bill Daily) try to push Debralee away, but the Mouse Queen hems her in. She's about to be turned into a doll herself when Gene steps in...

Broke for dinner at quarter of 7. Since there were things going on at the house, I opted to go out for dinner. Ended up at Crown Chicken and Gyro around the corner. I must have missed the dinner crowd, because they were quiet. I ate my fish gyro and slender fries in silence, listening to the accents on the gentlemen behind the counter.

Wanted to get mouthwash and batteries at Dollar General, which I forgot yesterday. They didn't have the mouthwash I wanted, but I did find batteries. They really didn't have much of anything else, either. They're so cleared out, they're already starting to put out their Valentine's Day candy.

Went for a stroll down by Newton Lake Park before it gets too wet and cold for outdoor activities. Some of the lights that way were pretty nifty, too. I saw houses with elegant wire statues, houses with bushes outlined in soft cobalt blue, and houses with lit menorahs in their windows. Those who didn't go for lights had big wreaths on their front doors. 

Put on Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol when I got in. I went into this early network animated holiday special at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog in 2020. 


Finished up the night online with Frosty the Snowman in honor of the first day of winter. The original Rankin-Bass Frosty special begins on a snowy morning right before Christmas. Little Karen and her friends are delighted when a magician's top hat brings their snowy friend (Jackie Vernon) to life. Not only is it getting too warm for Frosty to remain, but the magician (Billy DeWolfe) wants his hat back. He's so desperate, he follows Frosty and Karen to the North Pole, where they hope Santa will have a place for him.

No comments: