Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Tooth and Consequences

Slept in and read essays on real-life holiday history from A Treasury of Christmas Stories and the comic Christmastime, artist Sandra Boynton's spoof of holiday traditions. It was past noon when I finally got moving. Watched Match Game '75 while I had a quick breakfast and got dressed. Sweet Dorothy is finally defeated by a smart gentleman with glasses and a cheerful smile. The others help him with "Hook __" on the Audience Match, but Richard doesn't have as much luck with "Virginia __" in the Head to Head.

I headed out shortly after the episode ended. Since I wasn't sure what my mouth would be feeling like after my dental appointment, I figured I was safer going to my appointment on foot. This is a lot easier than it used to be when I lived on the other side of Oaklyn. The Westmont Plaza is now just a ten minute walk away. Besides, the weather was too pleasant to rush. Though it remained chilly (I passed one man breaking up a puddle at least two inches thick), it was also sunny and pleasant, and not bitter cold like the weekend. 

Arrived in Westmont with plenty of time to run some errands before my appointment. Needed mouthwash at Target. I could only find the gum care formula for Crest, so that's what I bought. Also picked up Target's organic fruit bars, which are a lot softer than granola bars and I figure would be easier on my teeth. 

They were just putting out the Valentine's Day decorations at Target as I walked through there. Dollar Tree had one row of Christmas decorations left amid the piles of Valentine's items. I ended up buying soap here and little brushes to use on my teeth before the appointment.

Arrived at the dentist's office ten minutes early...which proved to be a moot point. They got me in fifteen minutes late, and then they needed to take an x-ray of my broken wisdom tooth while I was standing up before they got me into the dentist's office. Actually pulling my small broken wisdom tooth took all of five seconds and didn't hurt at all. All the needles they used to numb my mouth took longer to insert and hurt a lot more. 

The office ran the Food Network TV show Chopped throughout the entire facility. I got to see the entire show. Four food truck chefs make three dishes using prescribed ingredients to win $10,000.  A New Jersey man and a guy from Brooklyn just want to prove themselves to their families. A Korean-American college-age guy wants to reopen his food truck after it burned down, while a young Thai immigrant just wants to make her mother proud. She made me proud. I knew the moment I saw her yummy-looking salad in the beginning she'd win. Most Thai food tends to be too spicy for my palate, but I'd down her coconut ice cream with lime mangoes in an instant. 

Went straight home after that. I had no other plans for the afternoon, so I spent the next few hours resting while watching Dick Tracy. I go further into this comic strip action film featuring Warren Beatty as the title cop and Madonna as the sultry singer who wants him in my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


(And yes, I'm aware this isn't a traditional musical. Sondheim wrote five songs for it. That's enough for me.)

Worked on writing for a while after the movie ended. The Mouse King manages to get Gene down and is about to skewer him when the Nutcracker intervenes. He won't let him hurt his friend...but the Mouse King may end up hurting him...

Broke for dinner at 7. Watched Match Game '79 while I ate. Brianne Leary finally did the cartwheels she promised earlier in the week on the first episode. The second began with Joyce Bulifant giving Jon "Bowser" Bauman a string of pearls to go with his greaser t-shirt and ended with Gene shoving his face rather scarily in front of the camera. 

Finished the night on the Roku Channel with an episode of Murder She Wrote from the fourth season. It's "Doom With a View" when Jessica's nephew Grady's apartment is suddenly fumigated. He's more than happy to accept a favor from his college buddy Garrett Harper who married a wealthy older woman and now runs a hotel. They're equally happy to catch sight of Grady's old high school crush...and just as shocked when Grady finds her dead in her hotel room. Turns out she had only an average job and could ill-afford to stay at the hotel. Jessica wonders how she'd managed it while deflecting the police from Grady, who keeps obeying odd (and occasionally illegal) requests from Garrett. 

(Oh...and my mouth is fine. It's a little sore, but nothing like when that larger broken tooth got pulled out last year. It was just a small broken wisdom tooth.) 

No comments: