Thursday, July 20, 2023

Bad Day Rising

Started off the morning with breakfast and Greenwich Village. I go further into this Roaring 20's tale of a young composer to comes to New York to sell his big concherto, only to be convinced to write music for a big revue instead, at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 


Did some job hunting during and after the movie. I saw a library assistant job listed at the Gloucester County Library's website...but first, I had to dig around the county website for the application. And then, of course, I couldn't get the printer to work. It kept saying there was a filter error. Huh? It worked fine just two days ago! I changed the black ink, plugged it in and unplugged it, and it still kept giving me that error. It must have come from the updates I did to my laptop yesterday. 

And then, I looked for something else on my phone...and discovered two calls and a text from Karen. Apparently, she did send me a text about getting together earlier in the week, but I never got it. She assumed I'd be there. I was only just getting up at 10. My rooms are in the way back of the house from the front door. You don't hear anything. I never heard her knocking. I was so horribly embarrassed! I left the phone in my lunch bag earlier and didn't take it out until just then. Karen said it was her fault for not sending me another text, but I should have texted her, too. By the time we figured things out, it was too late to do anything. I told her I'd text or call her tomorrow with my schedule for next week. 

Tried to cheer myself up with more Looney Tunes during lunch. "Carrotblanca" is probably the closest thing to an actual movie satire on the disc...and it's worth the disc alone. In addition to Bugs as Rick Blaine, Penelope is Ilsa, Pepe Le Pew is Captain Renault, Sylvester is Victor Lazlo, Daffy is Sam, Yosemite Sam is the Nazi officer, and Tweety is a perfect Ugarti. Bugs interrogating Sam is hilarious, as is the very changed ending. "Little Go Beep" is likely on the disc because it's an extension of the Baby Looney Tunes TV franchise, and the only cartoon from that series to be released on the big screen. Tiny diapered Wile E Coyote uses toys, water-launching rockets, and jack-in-the-boxes to chase a cute little Road Runner in a walker. 

Hurried off to work after "Little Go Beep" ended. Boy, do I wish I hadn't. Work was a royal pain all around. My very first customer had trouble with her health food card and held up the line for over 40 minutes. She ultimately took it well, but the line had to be moved elsewhere, and I was a panicky mess when she finished. I kept getting people who had similar problems and, unlike that lady, didn't have the money to pay and threw a fit. There was also the couple who bought over a hundred boxes of cereal I had to ring up one by one. (And I suspect they were probably going to Camden chop-shops.) Not to mention, my break was almost 40 minutes late, due to me being the only on a register by 5 PM and there being no one around to call.

Thank heavens it died enough by 7 for me to shut down a little early to return some cold items. I did that, then raced home as quickly as possible. At least the weather held out today. It was still humid, but was a bit cloudy and cool in the morning. Even after the sun came out later, the slightly cooler temperatures remained. It's in the mid-upper 80's here, hot but nothing like the crazy triple-digits they're seeing in the west and southwest. 

Went straight into dinner and Match Game '79 after I got in. Today's episode was one of my favorites of the year. Joyce Bulifant joined a contestant who claimed to be a champion senior dancer for some really awesome jitterbugging. 

Finished out the night at Shout TV with Mystery Science Theater 3000. The She-Creature is the reincarnation of a beautiful lady (Maria English) who has been hypnotized by a scientist (Chester Morris) who wants to use her to get revenge on those who spurned him. On the upside, the poorly-lit sets are rather atmospheric and moody, and that She-Creature costume is genuinely creepy. The acting is terrible across the board, though, especially from Morris, who spends a lot of time standing and staring, the sets are cheap, and the dialogue is stiff and silly. The robots seemed to have fun with it; ultimately, not the greatest thing ever, but worth a look for fans of 50's horror or campy horror from the 50's and 60's. 

No comments: