Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Tropical Tales and Toons

Started off the morning with breakfast and more of The Busy World of Richard Scarry. Huckle hopes the clock he bought his mother will be "The Best Birthday Present Ever." Things don't go so well when he's in an accident, and the clock, his bike, and its bell are all damaged. He takes them to Mr. Fixit the Fox to repair...but Mr. Fixit was rather notorious for his repair jobs not turning out as he planned. "Patrick Pig" is the only lad in Ireland who only says "oink." Three chatty gentlemen suggests he kisses the Blarney Stone to gain the power of speech. "Grouchy Mr. Gronkle" is an old boar who hates children and lives in a rundown house with a pond he won't let anyone near. Huckle, Sally, and the local kids figure since his broken gates are open, the pond is free to use. Mr. Gronkle thinks otherwise...but they end up helping him in the end.

Did some job hunting for a while, but didn't come up with anything. Tried writing, but didn't do so well with that, either. I've started The Wizard of Blank again. Joyce admits that she hopes Ira hadn't sent the guards out to where they are. She brought her dog friend into the studio, but they hadn't appreciated him being there.

Broke for a quick lunch at quarter after 2. Watched more Looney Tunes parodies while I ate. The next round of "spoofs" were satire in title only. "Chariots of Fur" is a typical Wile E. Coyote-Road Runner match-up that ends with Wile E trying to throw lightning at the Road Runner, only for it to turn on him. "Pullet Surprise" pits Foghorn Leghorn against a hungry Pete Puma. Foghorn gets around Pete and his appetite by claiming his hens can disappear or outrun him.

Headed off to work soon as the cartoon ended. I debated all morning whether or not to take my bike. It hadn't rained since the night before. It was hazy and humid, but neither hot, nor wet. I figured I was safe. I took my raincoat, just in case.

Work continues to be a pain. People's cards don't work and they end up putting back part or all of their order. They ask me about things I can't explain or don't know enough about to explain. I just can't make the words come out right. And of course, I ended up in the express line again...and by my last hour, I was the only one open, which made no one happy. Thank heavens they sent one of the teens in for me right on time.

The rain continued to hold off as I raced down the Black Horse Pike. It remained hazy and hot but not rainy. The heavy showers didn't finally arrive until around 10 - 10:30, after I'd long been at home and online. 

Had dinner while watching Match Game '79. Comic drunk Foster Brooks and Lorna Patterson of Airplane! joined in for one of the wilder weeks of the year. Foster gives away the tricks of his act, while the others try to figure out "The Cheap __" on the Audience Match.

Finished out the night exploring programming on Paramount Plus. I haven't seen the original Hawaii 5-0 since it turned up occasionally in re-runs during my childhood. There were so many episodes to choose from, I kept things simple and ran the first episode of the first season, "Full Fathom Five." Two con-people take rich widows into their confidence, then kill them for their money. Officer Danny "Danno" Williams (James McArthur) questions using a woman with young children as a phony widow in a sting, but Steve McGarrett (Jack Lord) is adamant that the woman can do her job. 

Lucy would love a tropical vacation in sunny Florida on I Love Lucy, but she and Ethel only have limited funds to join their men on a fishing trip. They're "Off to Florida" with a British lady (Elsa Lanchester) who offered them a ride. Turns out the lady's all for roughing it and expects them to have brought sleeping bags and their own food and know how to change a tire. 

No comments: