Thursday, July 13, 2023

Sale In the Library

Got a quick start with breakfast and the latest Minnie's Bow-Toons. The girls take their Bow-Tique into the woods and call it Camp Minnie. Minnie and Daisy are excited to be out in "The Great Outdoors" on a hike. Daisy is especially eager to show off her remote-controlled hiking shoes. The shoes, however, prove to be nothing but trouble. It's "A Sticky Situation" when Daisy gets marshmallow all over her hands and she's supposed to lead the camp in a clapping number later. Minnie and Clarabelle do their best to get it off. Minnie and Daisy look forward to making a gourmet meal in their camper, but their "Dinner to Go-o-o!" doesn't go as expected when Clarabelle decides she wants to speed down that bumpy mountain.

Called Uber around 10:30. I wanted to check out the Cherry Hill Public Library's book sale, but they're a bit too far to ride my bike. The young man arrived in 8 minutes and got me to the sprawling building on King's Highway in about twenty.

The Cherry Hill Public Library is the biggest library building I've ever seen. It's so big, it has a gift shop, vending machines, and a coffee shop (though the last-named wasn't open when I was there.) I asked the receptionist at the wide desk when I first arrived where the book sale was. She directed me downstairs, to the first floor. I finally found the children's room off in a smaller meeting room, and the adult books in a larger one further back. Both rooms were so packed with people looking for bargains, I could barely move in some spots. The mysteries were especially disappointing, mostly best-sellers by the same old authors. 

I didn't do quite as well as I did at the Mount Laurel Library in late April, but I did come up with a few things: 

Roses by Barbara Cohen (who also wrote the wonderful Molly's Pilgrim)

Bryant & May: Hall of Mirrors by Christopher Fowler

TCM The Essentials: 52 Must-See Movies and Why They Matter by Jeremy Arnold

Fashions of a Decade: The 20's by Jacqueline Herald

Peter Pan 3-Story Read and Hear LP: Peter Pan, The Gingerbread Man, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 

Set with two lesser-known Marx Brothers movies, Go West and The Big Store.

Called Uber around 12:30. Once again, the driver was 8 minutes. An older man got me home in about 20. There was no major traffic either way, not even on King's Highway. It was a hot and humid sunny day, but a stiff wind kept it from feeling worse.

Went straight upstairs and into lunch and Silk Stockings. I go further into this 1957 adaptation of a Broadway show with Cyd Charisse as a chilly Russian commissar and Fred Astaire as the Hollywood producer who woos her in Paris at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 


Headed off to work before the movie even ended. We had plenty of help for the first half-hour, until the express cashier went home and I ended up in express. I kept panicking. I worry about making mistakes, and I just can't keep up with the lines. They did pull the other girl open at 7 so she could come in for me (in fact, she came in early - I helped her bag until it was time for me to go), but there was no one left helping her. 

Hurried home after that. Had dinner while watching the end of Silk Stockings, then Match Game '79. Saw the second half of the episode, including the panel helping with "Eye of __" on the Audience Match. Daryl Anderson had fun with homonyms on "__ Fare" in the Head-to-Head.

I was going to watch The Love Boat, but Paramount Plus wouldn't work. Ended up at YouTube for the tail-end of Game Show Channel's daily Mystery 7 marathon instead. I came in to catch To Tell the Truth. Bill Cullen, Peggy Cass, Orson Bean, and Kitty Carisle try to figure out which of three contestants was in mental institutions despite there being nothing wrong with them and which ladies owned a helicopter service. Classic Concentration was a close game, but despite the woman winning the second game, the young man got the tiebreaker. He had a harder time with the match the car bonus round, though. 

No comments: