Friday, July 07, 2023

Run In the Sun

I was so tired, I slept until past 10:30. It was noon before I was up and about. Watched Match Game '77 while eating breakfast and getting organized. Comedian David Landsburg joins in as everyone tries to figure out "Portland __" in the Audience Match and Gene tells Marcia Wallace she needs to tame her copper curls. Real-life Brit Richard is more interested when he hears that the current champ intends to use part of her winnings to send her mother home to England. Richard speaks with his actual British accent for the rest of the episode. In the next episode, they all try to figure out "__ Softly."

Checked my schedule after I ate. Simplest schedule I've had in weeks, if not months. I work 3 to 7 the entire week but next Saturday, when I'm 1 to 6. Tuesday and Wednesday off, Tuesday for counseling. On one hand, I won't be making the greatest paycheck, but I will be able to rest a bit after this week.

Headed out to run errands next. Started off with a short stop at Family Dollar. I needed underwear. Some of mine have holes. I bought it, grabbed a bottle of water for the warm day, and got out. 

It was sunny and hot as heck, but a stiff wind kept it from feeling worse. I figured I could get away with going a little further afield. I hadn't been to Cacia's Bakery on the corner of King's Highway and the White Horse Pike for a while. They're a small Italian bakery and deli that mainly sells pizza, stromboli, and deli meats and cheeses. They also have containers of cookies and some cakes. I went for two containers of cookies, one oatmeal, one chocolate chip, for later and an iced butter cookie for right then.

There's a little hole-in-the-wall pizzeria, Toscana's, on the other end of the block from Cacia's. They're a pretty basic pizza place that barely fits into the long, narrow building. Their pizza was pretty basic, too. I went with a slice of cheese and a slice of broccoli-tomato. They were ok, but there are better pizzerias in this area, with better prices. 

I thought of riding down to Westmont to check out more stores there, but first of all, I've done a lot of that lately. Second, it was still too hot and getting hotter by the minute. Ended up ducking across Audubon and down Cuthbert to the Westmont Acme...and even then, I didn't really need much there. Just picked up yogurt and coconut milk, along with another bottle of water. They were both on good sales, though. I had so many online coupons for the yogurt, one came off as free.

Cut across Newton Lake Park on my way home. Took a shortcut up a hill past the Haddon Township Environmental and Historical Center. All of the rain we've had recently may be driving humans crazy, but it did wonders for the local flora. The trees and grass are far less brittle and greener than they have been since late May, and the Queen Anne's Lace and tiny daisies smell wonderful and look bright and peppy. 

Went online for a while to do some job research, but I just couldn't keep my eyes open. I almost fell asleep chatting with Lauren last night. I went down for a nap around 4:30. Got up at 6 and couldn't concentrate on writing, either. 

Watched Match Game '79 while eating leftovers for dinner. A tall, handsome young contestant from Maine certainly turned Brett and Barbara Rhodes' heads during these episodes. The first episode had a few jokes when Gene referred to the woman who checks men's zippers before they go out. The second had Barbara taking over briefly to show how tall she is and admire the very cute gentleman.

Finished out the night with this week's Pick & Play marathon on Buzzr. They kicked off with an episode of former baseball player Joe Gargiola's only week on Match Game '78. After that, it was what I believed to be a syndicated episode of Sale of the Century. The gentleman at the end has to choose whether to take that day's prize, or keep accumulating cash and get a better one. 

The episode of Press Your Luck was an early one from 1983. The Whammy ran fast and furious here, especially in the second half. I'd seen the Tom Kennedy all-star week of Password Plus and the 1980 season premiere of the Richard Dawson Family Feud before on Buzzr, but not the Bill Cullen Plus episode with Debralee Scott and Bill Anderson. 

No comments: