Friday, July 28, 2023

Lost and Found Matches

Started off the morning with breakfast and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. "Mickey's Comet" is close to the Clubhouse, but they can't find Professor Ludvig Von Drake. The Professor is the only one who knows how to work their telescope, so they all go after him.

Headed out even before the episode ended. The heat index was supposed to reach 100 today, with actual temperatures in the upper 90's. That's too hot for bike rides. I called Uber. The first drive arrived in less than 4 minutes, not bad for 8 in the morning. He did miss the turn-off to the Acme, but managed to get via a U-turn on the Black Horse Pike. 

The Acme's big Grand Re-Opening Celebration was...really boring. We were dead for most of the day. Besides the heat, it's almost the beginning of the month. If people aren't waiting to get their money, they're on vacation or hiding somewhere cool. Even rush hour wasn't bad. The only time we were even mildly busy was the very brief period when there were only two cashiers on. Otherwise, we had tons of help.

There was more going on elsewhere in the store. Nathan's Hog Dogs gave away frankfurters in the deli. One manager dropped two right in my hand. There was a ton of food in the employee's lounge, too. Someone brought in brownies, a pineapple angel food cake, and an apple cinnamon Bundt cake. Morning workers got a huge tray of assorted bagels with cream cheese, butter, coffee, and orange juice. Caterers brought pasta, meatballs, roast beef, rolls, and a Caesar salad later in the afternoon. We had so much food, they let the employees take leftovers home. 

Even with the "Grand Reopening" not going as badly as it could have, I'm still kicking myself hard. I got suspended for letting those counterfeit $100 dollar bills slip through. How could I have done that? Losing four days doesn't bother me. My hours were so lousy before this week, I probably wouldn't have gotten much more than that regardless of what happened. Not to mention, I could use the time to rest and regroup after all the trouble the last two weeks. I'm more angry that I let this happen. We're supposed to check every 100 and 50 dollar bill. I thought I did! I'm beyond furious with myself. And another bill looked iffy today, though a manager did check that. Now not only will no one ever respect me, but I could lose my job.

(And not only that, I work at 11:30 next Saturday. I may try to get up early and get to the Farm Market quick anyway.) 

I still picked up a few things after work. Had online rewards coupons for two free Acme generic Greek yogurts. Grabbed Dannon Light & Fit, too, along with coconut milk. There were no drinks in the employee lounge besides the orange juice and coffee from the morning (and the orange juice was long gone by 5), so I grabbed two bottles of Coke Zero and the Zero version of that Ultimate flavor for $2 each. 

Uber gave me fits, too. I called the guy at 5:20...and it took him over 12 minutes to show up, when the app originally said 8 at the most. I was going to cancel him, until I looked up where he was coming and realized he was probably stuck in heavy traffic. Ironically, he arrived not five minutes after that and was very pleasant. I directed him around Oaklyn's Final Friday block party and down Nicholson Road to the White Horse Pike. I just wanted to get home.

Went straight into writing when I finally got in. Papa Munchkin greets Joyce and thanks her for killing the Warlock of the East. To Joyce's horror, it turns out there's legs under the shed! She protests that she never meant to kill anyone, but Papa Munchkin claims he was about to do harm to them. 

Broke for dinner at quarter after 7. Watched Match Game '79 as I ate. Fred Grandy made his first appearances on the show in what would be the last week to air on CBS...and Gene still teased him about kissing him. Connie Stevens' wild perm also came in for some ribbing. Connie had far more luck helping with "__ Aces" in the next episode.

Switched to Buzzr for their Pick & Play. The Wally Bruner What's My Line? episodes continue. I didn't know Philadelphia had a jazz bagpiper, Rufus Harley, until I saw an episode of I've Got a Secret he appeared in that ran on Buzzr in February. He was darn good, too! The Mystery Guest here was Mel Torme. Rather amusingly, the Mystery Guest in the next episode was former Line panelist Bennett Cerf. Phyllis Newman guessed him right, but he stumped his old friend Arlene Francis. 

Finished the night at YouTube. Today and all next week, Game Show Network will be running episodes 1309 through 1317 of Match Game '78, which have been unseen since their debuts. Valerie Bertanelli refused to clear her appearances until last year...and the tape with her week also included the last two episodes of the week before it and the first of the week after it, plus their PM episodes. 

I started with the two episodes before them. In the first one, Gene puts in a request with Rubin Brothers for a new single-breasted suit, while Nipsey Russell admits there are some jokes even he's reluctant to pursue. I'm also a bit surprised that Gene hadn't heard of the obvious answer to "__ of Steel" in the Audience Match. Debralee Scott didn't do well with "__ Condition" in the next episode, either. (She still got a kiss from the contestant, though.) 

The new episode continued the madness. We're introduced to an older female trucker in the opening, leading to a couple of "mother trucker" gags. Betty White takes advantage of the appropriate music near the end of the the episode to attempt to strip, but Gene Rayburn gets her back in her seat before anything comes off. 

No comments: