Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Cooling Down

Began the day with breakfast and Laff-a-Lympics. Despite having appeared in a western, Huckleberry Hound doesn't have much luck riding a bucking bronco in "Arizona." Daisy Mayhem and Tinker from Speed Buggy do much better. Quick Draw McGraw is an old hoof at lassoing bulls, but Dynomutt has a harder time figuring it out, and the bull ends up lassoing Dinky Dalton. Despite getting caught for obvious cheating, the Rottens still do the best at spinning windmills in "Holland." The Great Fondoo thinks he's sabotaging Scooby and Shaggy on filling gaps in the Zyder Zee barricade, but he ends up helping them instead.

Headed out after that for a walk and to run errands. I decided to stroll over to Target in order to get my walk in rather than taking my bike. Besides, I figured it would be easier to dodge the traffic. Cuthbert was only just slowing down at 1 PM as I rushed across the street.

Stopped at the Bagel Shop first, but not for lunch. I wanted bagels for my lunch at work this week. Went in, bought six, and went out. 

Target and Dollar Tree were far more of a mess. The local teens are out of school now, and the Westmont Plaza is the closest place for many of them to hang out. There was a ridiculously long line at Dollar Tree. Good thing all I wanted at Dollar Tree were mints, a bottle of water, and cards. My nephew Skylar turns 20 next week, and my older friends Linda and James Young are having a really rough time with his health right now and could use encouragement.

Didn't have as much luck with Target. They had the Clinical Solutions Gum Therapy Listerine I wanted, but not the size. I did pick up a double-sized box of small Hefty trash bags and a box of chocolate chip Made Good breakfast bars I've never seen anywhere else. Starbucks was surprisingly quiet, given how busy it was elsewhere, so I also grabbed a Mocha Cookie Frappuccino. 

At least it wasn't a bad day for a long walk. In fact, I took the long way home through Newton Lake Park to enjoy how much cooler it was. It was cloudy and humid, but I'll take that after the insanely hot weather we've had over the past month or so. I saw parents pushing children in strollers and dog walkers out taking advantage of the weather as well.

Put on Athena while I ate lunch and put everything away, and then while I started working on the music inventory. I go further into this very odd MGM musical from 1954 themed around bodybuilding and healthy lifestyles at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 


Spent the next few hours adding more rock and vocal collection CDs, including the Have a Nice Day and Malt Shop Memories sets and two individual soul and Motown titles. I've had some of these literally forever. Two of my Have a Nice Day CDs go so far back, I have no idea where or when I bought them anymore. In fact, I think I may have gotten them from that now-defunct music store in North Cape May where I also picked up By the Beautiful Sea somewhere in the mid-late 90's. 

Broke for dinner at quarter after 7 PM. Buzzr ran the Match Game '90 Halloween and Veteran's Day episodes again. That's fine. They're probably the best episodes from the 1990-1991 run. Halloween featured Brett as a little girl sitting next to Charles as Superman, Vicki Lawrence in a super-short Little Red Riding Hood outfit, and Ronn Lucas and Scorch's idea of a scary costume. 

Veteran's Day week coincided with a run of soap opera stars on the show. Karen Wittier and Fiona Hutchinson were adored by the audience of love-besotted Marines. Fiona spent the week flirting with Scorch, while Karen proved she was more than a pretty face by doing well with the Head-To-Head three times (twice in a row).

Finished the night with rock and jazz records and CDs while working on my Athena review. I'm surprised I don't remember us having Dancing On the Ceiling in the 80's. We had Can't Slow Down and listened to it constantly. Some of my favorite Richie solo songs come from this album, including the title number, "Ballerina Girl," and "Love Will Conquer All." George Benson's 20/20 also debuted in the mid-80's...and boy does it sound like it, with the duet with Roberta Flack "You are the Love Of My Life" and the original version of "Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You."

October Road is one of James Taylor's most recent albums. The theme here is the change of seasons, which explains the inclusion of a lovely "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." Taylor's mellow sound here borders on New Age, with reveries like the title song and "My Traveling Star." "Raised Up Family" and "September Grass" are other good ones here. 

No comments: