Tuesday, July 02, 2024

People Get Ready

Got a quick start this morning with breakfast and Annie Get Your Gun. I go further into the 1950 adaptation of the hit 1946 musical about sharp-shooter Annie Oakley (Betty Hutton) and her relationship with rival marksman Frank Butler (Howard Keel) at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Rushed out to work shortly after I had lunch and Annie ended. Between this being our senior discount day, the beginning of the month, and it being two days before the biggest holiday of the summer, we were busy for most of the afternoon. I had a hard time keeping up with the carts. They just kept vanishing. No help, either. The head bagger was pulled to replace a cashier who just retired on Monday. I did my best to get all the sweeping, pushing carts, and putting everything away done that I could. 

At one point, I swear I saw an ambulance and paramedics. I was doing carts at the time, so I have no idea what happened there. I think I saw an older woman sitting outside with the paramedics. Maybe she fainted and had to be revived. Also noticed at least three police cars down by the bus stop on the Black Horse Pike a bit later in the day. There was one guy there. Maybe they were scolding him for something.

At least the weather was nice for all this. In fact, it was gorgeous. Sunny, breezy, a little humid, but not too hot like the last two weeks. Probably in the lower-mid 80's, perfect for early July.

Hurried home after work ended. Took out the trash, then went straight in the shower. Finally had dinner while watching Match Game Syndicated after I got out. Gary Collins and Susan Richardson join in to see Joyce Bulifant to give her fourth Head-to-Head answer in a row - and do very well with it, for once. She doesn't do quite as well later with a question about who is really disliked.

Finished the night as I worked on my review with three rock and reggae albums from the 60's and 70's, one a classic, and two from a favorite band that should be better-known. As weird as the Monkees' film Head is, there are some good things on the soundtrack. "The Porpoise Song" and "As We Go Along" are two of Micky Dolenz's loveliest ballads, Mike Nesmith puts in one of his best pure rockers with the hard-driving "Circle Sky," and Davy Jones has fun with Harry Nilsson "Daddy's Song." 

Davy and Micky did Changes in 1970 after Mike left to form his own band, but don't let that put you off finding this album. Micky in particular contributes two of his best later songs, "Midnight Train" and "All Alone In the Dark." Davy's best numbers here are the rockin' "99 Pounds" and charming "Do You Feel It Too?" 

After seeing the Bob Marley biography One Love in February that focused the creation of his album Exodus and the story behind it, I had to hear if for myself. If nothing else, it features one of my favorite of his songs, "Jammin'." There's also the hit title song, "Turn Your Lights Down Low," and "One Love/People Get Ready." This is so laid-back and, well, Jamaican, I'm surprised it's not their national album. It definitely has an oddly gritty and yet tropical vibe that well reflects its tumultuous creation. 

No comments: