Thursday, July 04, 2024

Star Spangled Lady

Began the morning with the 4th of July material from Colliers Harvest of Holidays. The longest piece here is a segment of Little House On the Prairie where Pa takes Laura and Carrie into town for lemonade and to watch their friend Almanzo Wilder take part in the horse and buggy race. There's also several patriotic poems, The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere, and The Star Spangled Banner. Did two short stories from the Disney Storybookland anthology, a version of "Ben & Me" and a prose retelling of Paul Revere's famous ride.

Watched the short "Patriotic Popeye" online while I had a quick breakfast. Popeye tries to hide the fireworks from his eager nephews, but they find them every time. They finally learn their lesson when they get caught on one of the rockets and their uncle has to rescue them.

Hurried out after that for Oaklyn's 4th of July Parade on West Clinton Avenue. The parade was supposed to start at 10, but they were late. They're always late. There were already tons of people running around and settling in lawn chairs when I arrived. Among them were my brother-in-law Craig, my niece Finley, and my nephew Khai. Fin turned 7 yesterday. I'm glad I remembered to bring her birthday bag. She loved everything, especially the pretty purple stuffed pegasus. 

The parade didn't start until nearly 10:30. I took Finley across the street to get free soda, water, small bags of chips, and warm soft pretzels at a tent pitched on the parking lot across from the school, and we got back with still ten minutes before it did start. Motorcyclists on cool red and blue vehicles led the way, followed by kids on decorated bikes and their parents and two local brass bands. Most of the other floats were baseball and softball teams, including one that won the local Little League and was now heading to the New Jersey state finals. Finley was just happy with all the Jolly Ranchers, Dum Dums, Starbursts, and Double Bubble gum those young ballplayers threw. Even I grabbed some candy for later. 

Craig took the kids home to rest after the parade ended, but I stuck around to hear a lady sing "The Star Spangled Banner" (quite well) and the announcement of the winners for best float. Mr. Softee pulled into the parking lot right before the parade started to give out free ice cream. I didn't mind waiting in a long line to get a freebie. I enjoyed my cup of vanilla and chocolate swirl soft-serve topped with rainbow sprinkles as I walked home. 

Settled down myself with a drink and a few more 4th of July or American history-related shorts. Bugs is a "Bunker Hill Bunny" who defends his fort from Hessian Yosemite Sam. "Donald's Failed Fourth" may turn his romantic picnic with Daisy into a disaster, unless he can get the blanket and chairs to cooperate. "Hysterical Highspots In American History" include Christopher Columbus lamenting the lack of cartoons in the New World, a fast-talking Native-American salesman, and two enterprising old maids who somehow managed to divert soldiers to their home during two very different and long-apart wars. 

Watched Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure next. I go further into this sequel to the beloved 1955 Disney movie at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Went back out after the cartoon ended. I enjoyed my Thanksgiving dinner at Mulligan's so much, I thought I'd try them for the 4th. Their turkey burger wasn't nearly as good as their actual turkey dinner. The fries weren't bad, but the burger was nothing really special for $14. I was surprised they weren't busy, either. Guess most people opted to barbecue in their own homes.

By this point, the morning clouds and breeze had long given way to bright sunshine and overbearing heat and humidity. I stopped at WaWa for a much-needed drink. Tried a matcha frozen lemonade. Not bad. Very tart. Cooling, anyway, which is really all I cared about walking home.

After I got in, I made the bed while watching two patriotic Scooby Doo episodes. Tubi now has the mid-70's Scooby Doo Show. This is the show I remember being re-run the most as a kid, and probably the one I remember best. Mystery Inc is in Washington DC to celebrate the Bicentennial and find themselves fleeing into the Smithsonian to avoid a heavy rainstorm. When they're attacked by what seems like the ghosts of famous traitors Benedict Arnold, William Demont, and Major John Andre, they have to figure out what "The Spirits of '76" are doing and why they're running around with wet shoes.

Laff-a-Lympics goes north to "New York" for a Central Park buggy ride. Finley would have loved Blue Falcon's chariot pulled by an alicorn, but I thought Doggie Daddy's normal carriage pulled by a very small horse who turns out to be accurately named Goliath was funnier. The race to put a wreath on top of the Statue of Liberty was even closer. Captain Caveman has his powers, but Orful Octopus of the Rottens doesn't need to cheat with suction-cup tentacles, and there's Grape Ape's sheer size. The Dread Baron somehow manages to win a unicycle race in "Turkey" despite his own outrageous cheating, and the Daltons prove that size - and pure slipperiness - does matter during a swimming relay race in the cross-tides.

Mom texted me to wish me a happy 4th of July right before I left for lunch. I called her on the patio at Mulligan's after I got out. She finally called me back as the second half Laff-a-Lympics ended. As it turns out, they weren't doing anything, either. Keefe apparently had to work on a newly-built ship today. 

By that point, I was bored stiff. I originally intended to walk into Collingswood, but it was too hot for a long stroll, and my legs were still pretty worn out from pushing carts for 7 hours yesterday. Ended up walking through a quiet, shady Newton Lake Park instead, with a stop at Dollar General for snacks and a drink to eat during the fireworks. 

Put on Yankee Doodle Cricket when I got home. Amos Mouse isn't the only rodent who claims to have shaped American history. Tucker the Mouse insists that he originally created the first American flag and wrote the Declaration of "Interdependence" as a treaty between cats and mice, Harry the Cat got Paul Revere's horse going, and Chester the Cricket wrote "Yankee Doodle." 

Rose called shortly after I got in. Did I want to come over for dinner? Sure, why not? I had no other plans. I was just going to eat out of the fridge for dinner. I ended up heading across a quiet Oaklyn to her house instead after the cartoon ended.

When I arrived, I was greeted by Rose's two frisky dogs Oreo and Cider. Oreo is a sweet pup who sure took a shine to me. He wouldn't leave my side for most of the time I was there, laying at my feet and licking my toes. Rose has a stressful job as a lawyer, and she was pretty tired, but she did put out a plate of grapes, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and cherries and a tray of meat and cheese with mini-naan rounds. Craig made tasty burgers, sausage, and zucchini and yellow squash, the latter fresh from his own garden. The lettuce for the burgers was from his garden, too. Before dinner, Finley got to show off the Jurassic Park dinosaurs she got for her birthday, including a remote-control t-rex. 

I hurried out around 8:41. Rose and her family usually watch the fireworks at their house, but I prefer Newton Lake Park. The big grassy area across from the Parkview Apartments is large enough for many people to relax on blankets and not be in each other's way and still get a good view of the show. I wasn't sure I'd have the time to go back for my blanket and the water and snacks I bought earlier, so I just plopped on the grass. 

Not ten minutes after I settled down, I heard the first boom overhead. Glittering pink and green sparkles lit up the night! The fireworks at Collingswood are always gorgeous, and this year was no exception. I especially love the ones that make shapes, the nifty rings and hearts inside each other. Someone set off some pretty big fireworks at the Parkview, too, making it seem like the show was coming from all sides. 

I hurried home the second the last fireworks started to go off. The White Horse Pike is always a mess after the fireworks. While I don't have to cross the street anymore to get home, I do have to dodge all of the people and cars looking to avoid taking the main roads and running into just as much traffic. I was very happy when I finally got home.

Finished the night after the Match Game '76 chat premieres with a vintage Disney 4th of July parade from 1988. It's a shame Disney didn't continue to air their 4th of July spectaculars like they did the Easter and Christmas shows. They're cheesy, but so much fun. Marc Summers and Tempest Bledsoe put more of an emphasis on the actual parade, with units representing different sections of the US, than most of the other broadcasts. We also get Willard Scott riding the Maelstrom (now Frozen) in the then-new Norway pavilion at Epcot, the introduction of Mickey's Birthdayland at the Magic Kingdom (now the circus-themed kiddie ride area of Fantasyland), and a chorus routine at what was then the Disney-MGM Studios (which opened about 10 months after this). Tommy Tune and Rita Moreno lead the dancers through medleys of George M. Cohen songs in front of Cinderella's Castle in the finale. 

If you missed your hometown parade or want to check out Walt Disney World almost 40 years ago, here's the full parade, for your enjoyment!


And here's hoping you had a wonderful 4th of July too, with all the people you love!

No comments: