Thursday, July 25, 2024

In the Cool of the Evening

Began a late morning with breakfast and The Busy World of Richard Scarry. Hilda has planned "The School Dance," and everyone is excited except Huckle. He's no dancer and is worried everyone will laugh at him. One of his friends finally reminds him that it doesn't matter if you're good, it matters if you get out there. "The First Olympics" are created by a goat in Ancient Greece as games his five kids play on their birthday. The town mayor is annoyed at first, until he sees how much fun the family is having and says everyone in Greece should be able to enjoy them. "Hilda for President" can make great baked goodies, but has no idea how she wants to make the school better. Billy Dog has many ideas to improve the school, but no idea how to organize them. They finally decide that even the president can't do everything alone and agree to work together. 

Saw a bit of Super Password while making my grocery list and signing the get well and encouragement cards for James and Linda Young. I was a bit surprised to see David Graff of Police Academy playing with Pat Klous of The Love Boat. Some folks from Police Academy did turn up on the syndicated Match Game and Match Game-Hollywood Squares, but I had no idea any of them were on other shows. He wasn't doing too badly when I left, either, leading his contestant to the Super Password bonus round.

Headed out around quarter after 12 for this week's grocery run. Dropped the cards in the mailbox on the White Horse Pike and a book in the kiosk in front of the Ritz Theater, then rode down Cuthbert to Sprouts. Sprouts was busy, but not with kids. They don't really have anything that would interest pre-teens or teenagers. They don't sell silly string, they have no seasonal aisle, and they only have toys on displays during December. Grabbed coconut milk and granola bars on sale, along with speckled plums and blueberries. 

Next stop was the Westmont Acme. I mainly wanted to restock yogurt, peaches, more granola bars, and Olipop soda. They didn't have the mouthwash I wanted there, but I did get a gift card for my oldest nephew Skylar's 20th birthday next week. Had online coupons for a buy one, get one Remedy, a kombucha soda, $1 off five Chobani yogurts, and $2 off bakery items. I opted to try the lemon thumbprint shortbread cookies.

Made one last stop before I went home. Bought lunch at the A&A Pretzel Shop down the street from me. Grabbed two pretzels and a stuffed pepperoni pretzel. I was also disappointed to notice that Los Amigos Bakery was dark and empty. It would seem they're gone for good. That's too bad. The people who owned the place were nice, I liked their cookies, and that yule log cake I won on Christmas Eve was terrific. 

Had lunch while watching a sports-themed episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Mickey and the gang invite Martian Mickey and his friends to compete in "Mickey's Sporty-Thon" with them. They're used to having gadgets and flying apparatus do all the work and try to do everything themselves, until the others teach them the right way to play. It's Martian Minnie and her big tossing ability who helps save Announcers Pete and Donald when their hot air balloon goes out of control!

Watched the 1967 TV version of Damn Yankees next after the cartoon ended. I go further into this extremely psychedelic retelling of the beloved baseball musical with a great cast at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Went into working on my inventory for the next few hours. I did all the B vinyl soundtrack titles and one C, Barbie through the film version of Cabaret. It was mainly soundtracks from James Bond films, though I did also do the Twiggy/Ken Russell Boy Friend movie and Breakfast at Tiffany's. While some of my soundtrack CDs go way far back, most of the records are more recent. I did totally forget that I found the double soundtrack for the MGM musicals Annie Get Your Gun and Three Little Words at the Collingswood Library for 25 cents years ago.  Boy Friend was one of my earliest finds at Rustic Music. 

Broke to go for a walk and run errands at 6 PM. It was hot, sunny, and humid earlier when I was on the bike. By the time I made my way down to Newton Lake Park, clouds had cooled things off considerably despite the continuing humidity. I didn't see a lot of people out for walks, probably due to it being the dinner hour, but there were a lot of folks fishing on small speed boats or row boats bobbing along on the lake. Briefly stopped at Dollar Genera to see if they had the mouthwash I wanted and quickly moved along when they didn't.  

Went straight into dinner and Match Game '91 when I got home. Soupy Sales made his second and final appearance on Match Game in these episodes after having done a week during the 70's CBS run. Jimmie Walker flirted with a pretty contestant in the last episode, while Sally Struthers announced she was doing a voice on the ground-breaking puppet sitcom Dinosaurs. (Which would go on to run for three years and is still much-loved today. Sally was the voice of Charlene, the younger sister.)

Finished the night working on my review for Damn Yankees while listening to the two Mike Nesmith albums I picked up on vacation. From a Radio Engine to the Photon Wing and Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma are basically Mike messing around with song length and styles. The catch tropical-flavored "Rio" from Radio Engine is by far my favorite from these two albums. Other good ones from Infinite Rider include "Magic" and "Flying." 

No comments: