Friday, July 26, 2024

Down On Main Street

Began the morning with breakfast and a double-dose of Laff-a-Lympics. The games in "Quebec" begin with lacrosse. Daisy Mayhem's great at throwing, but thanks to the Rottens' cheating, she ends up in the net with the balls. Quick Draw and Scooby have more luck. The Doggies can't get anywhere in tree cutting, until the Rottens inadvertently help them out. The Great Fondoo's magical cheating works well enough to let him come in first in the magic carpet race in "Baghdad" and assure that Grape Ape and Babu don't come in at all. Dinky Dalton doesn't have nearly that much luck with magic rope climbing. Yogi gets tangled in the Rottens' cheating, but Blue Falcon and Dynomutt figure out what's going on fast enough to save the race.

The second season opener begins in "Russia," much to the consternation of a frozen Mildew and Snagglepuss! Dynomutt does well enough pulling his sled in the moose marathon to come in first. Captain Caveman gets caught in Fondoo's magic in the Russian dancing race, making him drop to third and Wally Gator the winner. Daisy Mayhem knows critters like no one's business and has no trouble winning the porpoise-riding race in the "Caribbean." Fondoo's magic strikes again when looking for Bluebeard's treasure. Shaggy and Scooby are experts at finding what's hidden and do much better. 

Called Uber after the cartoon ended. They arrived in a quick four minutes. At least the traffic wasn't bad as he made his way to Marlton, not even on Route 70. It was around quarter after 11, after the morning rush hour and before everyone leaves for the Shore. He dropped me at the Cottage Resale Shoppe in Marton within 20 minutes.

The Cottage Resale Shoppe is a small store on Main Street in Marlton that sells used clothes for American Girls and other 18-inch-dolls. I found two outfits for Kit right away, her original Reporter's Outfit with the red piping and her pink and brown School Skirt Outfit. The latter is a bit on the frilly side for Kit and will probably go to Molly. 

My best find was the rare modern Artist's Outfit from 1999. I've wanted to buy that for Jessa since the human Jess gave her to me, but it can cost anywhere from $100 to $300 or more complete on eBay. It was $55 complete except for the hair clip. Kit's Reporter Outfit was complete, with shoes, socks, and headband. Kit's School Skirt Outfit was missing the hat and had the wrong socks, but it did come with the shoes. I also found a pair of saddle shoes for Molly and Whitney to share. Molly's are falling apart.

The Cottage Resale Shoppe is on Marlton's quaint Main Street. It's lined with beautiful old houses in various states of repair, some of them going back to the 1840's. It was a gorgeous day for a stroll, too. Though it was still hot, it was neither as hot, nor as humid as it has been, probably in the mid-80's, and sunny and breezy as can be. Main Street was busy with medical workers from the many hospitals and medical offices in Marlton driving to lunch. I dodged more than a few cars as I made my way across the street to Sal's Pizzaworks.

Sal's is nestled so far back in a small shopping center about a block from the main highway. They make the best - and cheapest! - pizza in Marlton, and they have a Coca Cola Freestyle machine. My slice of mushroom, slice of white broccoli, and medium Coke Zero Peach cost me less than $5. I took it outside on their patio booths, since it was way too beautiful to eat inside!

I originally planned on stopping at the thrift shop Among Other Things next, since it's less than a block from Sal's. When I arrived, a sandwich board in front of the doors indicated that they're now only open on Saturdays and Sundays. Bummer. I stopped briefly at Gallo's Bakery too, but I wasn't hungry enough after my pizza for their massive cookies and pastries. Just ended up walking another block and hurrying across the street to Marlton Crossings instead.

There wasn't much here that interested me, either. I peeked around Michael's, but I didn't see any doll clothes, and I'm not really in the market for craft supplies right now. Played Burgertime and found a Danny Kaye album in a box of records for $4.99 each at Rocket Fizz. I also picked up a container of my favorite fruit slices and either a French or French Canadian Reeces Oh Henry bar for now, from the French description on the packaging.

Strolled down two blocks past a series of small offices and crossed the street to the back of the Marlton Barnes and Noble. It's almost identical to the Barnes and Noble in Deptford, only half of their music and DVD section holds toys, games, and music books. There was enough left for me to dig up two records, a CD set, and Spectre on DVD. (And it turns out I have that. It's the most recent Bond movie No Time To Die I'm missing. I'll donate it to Goodwill.) Didn't see any mysteries I liked, but I did pick up a book of Irish fairy and folk tales from the Book Annex section.

Incidentally, the records ended up being: 

The soundtrack from Moana

Andy Williams - The Best of Andy Williams (This one was half-price!) 

The lone CD set:

The soundtrack from the musical version of The Color Purple. (It was 20 percent off and cheaper than the enormous record set.) 

As I came out, I noticed another shopping center across the street with a huge Kohl's. Thought I'd take a look at that. Turns out it was a bust. The only thing I saw that was remotely interesting was a rack with stuffed animals for $5. I considered it, but stuffed animals are the last things I need right now. I'm not on the lookout for clothes, either. The only thing I got at that mall was a dollar water from Shop Rite. 

Called Uber at Kohl's, but that may have been a mistake at quarter of 4, the height of rush hour. It took the driver over 20 minutes to arrive. At least he was extremely pleasant when he did arrive. He was just happy I was going in the opposite direction from that annoying Shore traffic! We discussed our jobs and he told me about the remodeling he's doing on his house all the way back to Oaklyn.

Went straight into working on the inventory when I finally got home. Added the remaining C, D, and E soundtracks today, including Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, the film version of Can-Can, the Columbia Rita Hayworth musicals Cover Girl and You Were Never LovelierDarling Lili, Dirty Dancing, the Rex Harrison Doctor Doolittle, Easy Rider,  and Encanto. With a few exceptions, I haven't had most of my soundtrack albums for as long as some of the CDs. Easy Rider came from a thrift shop back in 2008, but most were yard sale or record or book store finds. 

Broke for dinner and Match Game '77 at 7 PM. Dick Smothers and Meg Bennett joined Fannie Flagg and the regulars here. Fannie gets a standing ovation when she's the only one who matches the contestant on a question about who the ringmaster sleeps next to that would make him unhappy to get up on the wrong side of the bed.

Took a shower, then finished the night with Mystery Science Theater 3000. Space Mutiny is a later Mike episode featuring a 1988 South African sci-fi drama. Elijah Kalgan (John Philip Law) hatches an elaborate scheme with space pirates force the colony ship Southern Sun to end its long colonizing by hijacking its engines and police force. He and the ship's engineer MacPherson (James Ryan) begin their sabotage just as an important professor arrives at the ship. The professor dies in a crash, but his pilot Dave Ryder (Reb Brown) survives. That closes off the main flight deck long enough for Kalgan to take over. Ryder joins Commander Jansen (Cameron Mitchell) and his daughter Lea (Cisse Cameron) to foil Kalgan's plot and regain control.

This may be the most 1988 sci-fi movie ever made. From the massive shoulder pads on the men and the leotards on the women to the obvious Star Wars rip off special effects and sets, this is space opera cheese of the ripest sort. Mitchell mostly manages a certain gravity as the Commander...except for when a group of sexy female aliens try to seduce him for no reason other than they're there. (They do better with two of Kalgan's men later.) The continuity is so bad, one woman is killed off mid-way through, only to be seen back at her desk moments later. 

I think you can guess that Mike and the robots have a field day with this one. I can't say I blame them. Worth seeing with or without robot wisecracks if you're a fan of truly campy space opera or B action films from the 80's. 

No comments: