Saturday, March 10, 2007

Helping Out

Volunteer day. Erica was much busier today than last week, and I did a lot in the back room. I mostly put aside a few donations, separated "spring" (light long-sleeved shirts and light sweaters, light-weight pants) from "summer" (tank tops, sleeveless shirts, gauzy shirts, shorts, skorts, swimsuits) items. Winter and summer items were returned to boxes; spring items went on the main floor or were hung on racks to be put out later. Erica, Mary Anne, and I went out to the Crystal Lake Diner a bit later in the day. Mary Anne had fish and "chips" (French fries); Erica and I had a spinach and chicken wrap.

Busy week coming up. I have the opposite problem of last week - lots of hours, but a long night next Saturday. I hate it when they do that. I've told everyone at the Acme repeatedly that I can't really work until 11 or 12. I can't always get rides that late. No one wants to listen. Is it really that important that I've only worked at the Audobon store for a year?

I'm still feeling restless, too, and yesterday's mess was no help. I'd love to meet more people my own age, but I'm really shy about joining groups. I don't even know what kind of groups 28-year-old single women join! It was so much easier in high school and college when I knew everyone in the group from classes and didn't feel like I stuck out so badly. My councelor, Scott, suggested I join a writing group, but it's very hard to do. I'll look them up, but I can't shake the feeling I'll walk into the room, sit in the back, and feel like a baby around sophisticated adults. I don't want to go through what I went through in grade school again, letting the kids snicker behind my back while I screw up on the math problem on the blackboard.

No comments: